Doherty will take Florida Atlantic job today

Matt Doherty will be named Florida Atlantic University’s next basketball coach Monday, according to the Boca Raton News.

Doherty beat out a slew of candidates for the job including Syracuse associate head coach Bernie Fine. Fine finished his 29th season at Syracuse in March.

The News called the move ‘unsettling’ for Fine because he was seriously considering the move to Florida. Fine has expressed interest in taking over his own program in the past, but the right job hasn’t come up.

Softball

The Syracuse softball team broke the school record this weekend for most wins in a row. And before it knew it, the record was snapped. The Orange had won eight straight games before losing, 1-0, against Fordham on Sunday in nine innings. The Orange beat FU earlier in the day, 2-1, to break the school record.

On Saturday, SU beat Boston College twice in Chestnut Hill, Mass.

SU next plays Cornell on Tuesday at 3 p.m. at Syracuse Softball Stadium.

Tennis

The Syracuse tennis team had its three-match win streak snapped on Saturday at Boston College. SU lost to the Eagles, 6-1. Ashley Lipton was the only SU singles player to win her match against Boston College.

Victoria Vaynberg and Catherine Zawadzki won their doubles match, but BC took the next two doubles matches to take the point.

The Orange played Boston University yesterday but results were not available.

Rowing

The Syracuse men’s rowing team finished third out of three teams in the Goes Cup on Saturday in Ithaca. The No. 18 men’s varsity eight lost to No. 7 Navy and No. 11 Cornell, finishing the race in 5:59.6. Navy won in 5:49.4 and Cornell finished second in 5:51.8.

The women’s varsity eight finished second out of three teams in its race against Harvard and Dartmouth. No. 5 Harvard won with a time of 6:24.4. The No. 16 Orange finished in 6:35.3. Dartmouth finished third in 6:44.7.

The Syracuse men next race against Temple and Georgetown on Saturday in Philadelphia. The women race in the Big East Rowing Challenge on Saturday in Worcester, Mass.