Fish out of water saves Syracuse against Hobart

GENEVA – It’s quite possible a fish has never had such an effect on a men’s lacrosse game – or any sport not played in water for that matter.

But Tuesday night at McCooey Field, a foot-long yellow and blue carp may have helped save the Syracuse lacrosse team.

Seconds after Hobart rallied to tie the game midway through the fourth quarter, an overzealous Statesmen fan heaved the finned creature onto the field. It was the game’s second fish-throwing incident. Referees called a penalty, giving possession to Syracuse.

Minutes later, with 4:13 remaining, freshman Greg Niewieroski deposited his second goal of the season, sending the No. 8 Orange to a 13-12 victory over No. 12 Hobart in front of 4,001. SU extended its winning streak against the Statesmen to 19 straight and kept the Kraus-Simmons Trophy for another year.

‘I was pleased somebody scored,’ Syracuse head coach John Desko said of Niewieroski’s goal. ‘We wanted to get him out on the field more. You’re going to be hearing a lot about him in the future.’

Niewieroski, who became open when his defender fell, may never have gotten the chance if not for the fish. Throwing fish on the field is a tradition at Hobart lacrosse games, one Desko remembers from when he played for Syracuse.

Still, after Niewieroski’s goal, the Orange (3-3) withstood a furious Hobart rally, mostly because of senior goalie Jay Pfeifer. He stopped a career-high 21 shots, but he saved his best moments for last.

With more than a minute remaining and SU leading by a goal, SU defender Steve Panarelli forced a turnover. In the ensuing scramble, he threw the ball away.

That led to a fast break and a point-blank shot attempt for Hobart’s Daryl Veltman from the right side. Miraculously, Pfeifer made the stop.

After Hobart (5-2) gained possession with 12 seconds remaining, Nate Hill spun away from Syracuse middie Jarett Park. Again facing a close-range shot – this time from dead on – Pfeifer made a spectacular save, closing his legs just before the ball trickled into the goal.

‘Jay was the difference in the game,’ Desko said. ‘He played terrific.’

‘With one-one-one saves, it’s just whatever happens,’ Pfeifer said.

Pfeifer said he actually had trouble seeing the ball at times. After the game, he told his father that he’d see the ball great for six- or seven-minute spans, and then lose track of it completely for a few minutes at a time. That showed, as Pfeifer allowed some high shots to sneak past him.

While Pfeifer and the fish may have been the difference, Hobart still managed to stay close. Syracuse never led in the first half by more than two goals, and the Statesmen entered the locker room down just a goal.

With 1:20 remaining in the first quarter and the score tied, SU began a 3-0 run. A Steven Brooks goal with 8:45 left extended SU’s lead to 12-9. Brooks led SU with three goals and two assists.

Hobart, with a raucous home crowd behind it all evening, ran off three straight goals, tying the game at 12.

‘It was a totally different atmosphere,’ Pfeifer said. ‘I had students barking in my ear the whole time.’

Then came the seemingly innocent fish from behind a fence. It landed to the right of SU’s goal. Hill, who moments earlier had tied the game, flipped the fish off the field. But since Hobart fans had previously been warned, SU grabbed possession.

Desko said the tradition used to be even more involved. Hobart fans would sit in the parking lot drinking beer and drop their pants toward an opposing team’s bus. The fish tradition, at least, might be appropriate. A sign on Geneva’s outskirts bills the city as the ‘Lake Trout Capital of the World.’

The gag allowed Syracuse to keep the Kraus-Simmons Trophy, named for former SU coach Roy Simmons Sr. and former Hobart coach Babe Kraus. Before the game, Simmons’ son, Roy Simmons Jr., explained the trophy’s significance to the team.

Following the game, Desko greeted Simmons Jr.

‘Congrats Coach,’ Desko told him. ‘It’s coming home for another year.’