People of SU

When the sun begins to rise each day, Josh McIntosh is already busy at work.

McIntosh, associate director for administration and assessment in the Office of Greek Life and Experiential Learning, prepares early every morning in his office in the Schine Student Center for a day full of endless meetings and appointments, all intended to improve student life on campus.

‘Before anyone comes in is the most critical time,’ McIntosh said. ‘There’s always two stacks of papers on my desk. The day’s full of eruptions and I need that time to get through (the rest of the day). You have to be able to manage your time.’

McIntosh has reason to need some extra time. He is in charge of the budget and finance system among OGLEL, oversees the senior yearbook, supervises four full-time staff members within the office and advises the Interfraternity Council and the Student Association all in an effort to strengthen activities.

‘He’s very committed,’ said Debbie Manobianco, office coordinator of OGLEL who works closely with McIntosh. ‘He’s in this office some mornings at 6 a.m., two to three hours before people are in (their offices).’

McIntosh spends his time each morning responding to student e-mails, checking voicemails and creating a to-do list to keep him organized throughout the day. On most days, though, things do not go as planned.

‘Of course one thing can happen to throw (the list) all off,’ McIntosh said. ‘The work environment is extremely diverse. One day looks nothing like the other.’

Although he is very involved in working with the administration and assessment of students, McIntosh didn’t necessarily plan to start a career with students.

A graduate of Elon University in 1997 where he received his bachelor’s degree, McIntosh spent those years studying biology with an interest in attending medical school.

‘I loved biology,’ McIntosh said. ‘It was very demanding but I really learned how to manage my time. It’s a direct reflection on my work now.’

As an undergraduate, McIntosh gained skills in residential life at Elon as he became a student leader, delegating over issues with students in residence halls. As a junior, he supervised a staff of resident advisers. After graduating from Elon, despite his degree in biology, he wondered if he should continue on his path of medicine or study higher education, because of his strong interest in the assessment of students.

At the time, he worked closely with the dean of students at Elon, whose work influenced McIntosh to apply to graduate school with a concentration in student development.

‘I thought, what the heck, and I applied to all these institutions,’ McIntosh said. ‘I thought the worst case scenario would be that I have a degree in something I don’t like.’

McIntosh attended Appalachian State University where he finished his Master of Arts in college student development. After he received his degree, he came to Syracuse University for its doctoral program in education – and for its great residential life, he said.

McIntosh began working with SU students in 1999 where he worked as a residence director for two years and a coordinator for assessment. In the summer of 2003, student activities and greek life merged into one office, OGLEL, and McIntosh shifted his efforts from residential life to student organizations.

At the time, Anastasia Urtz, dean of students, was looking for a better way to improve student organizations and was searching for someone with a set of skills, not just experience, and McIntosh had those skills, he said.

‘I came in without student activity and greek life (experiences),’ McIntosh said. ‘We place too much content on experience.’

At the start of his work in OGLEL, McIntosh sought to produce a better yearbook and to focus the greek community as a prominent staple in the university. He also worked to develop officer training.

‘When I first got here I had the opportunity to create,’ McIntosh said.

Throughout his five years at SU, those who know McIntosh note his hard work has contributed to their experience in the office.

‘Josh is wonderful,’ said Maggie Misztal, comptroller of SA. ‘He puts in countless hours. He’s helped me a lot this year; he’s helped me organize stuff for budgets.’

With his experience in budgeting for OGLEL, Misztal said McIntosh met with both her and SA President Andrew Lederman on finance board issues, including Misztal’s finance board mixer, coming up with ways to make the system better.

‘He will always say, ‘If you can’t come up with a solution to your problems, I’ll make sure that a solution is found,” Misztal said.

Manobianco said his loyalty and dedication to students carry over from his personality.

‘One of the frats recently rented a house on Comstock and they were very excited about it,’ she said. ‘He went with me and got all this SU paraphernalia and gave it to the guys. They were so touched by the gesture. That’s one little way to describe him.’

McIntosh said working as associate director gave him skills in finance since he is responsible for making sure OGLEL’s 31 accounts are balanced each June. McIntosh is still working on completing his doctoral degree by writing his dissertation proposal, which he said should be done in 2006, adding to his already long list of responsibilities.

‘I really enjoy the classroom,’ McIntosh said.

Working as an associate director and finishing his doctorate degree, though, wasn’t all McIntosh has done as part of the SU community. He has taught a master’s course, and plans to take more classes upon completion of his degree, such as a public speaking course.

McIntosh also wants to improve other students’ education by helping to draw more students to universities, reshape the classroom experience for the retention of students, in order to see what engages them and connects them, he said.

In the years to come, McIntosh said he may look into a bigger position in higher education, such as the vice president of a university or college. If he decides to stay in higher education, he may work as an adjunct professor as an initial step to move forward.

But medicine is still an area important to McIntosh, and he said that going to medical school may still be an option.

‘Part of me wants to be at a medical school and be a dean,’ McIntosh said.

His goals don’t stop at the classroom or the examination room – he is also interested in lobbying to see what kind of policy work is available to him in Washington, D.C.

As for his work at OGLEL, McIntosh has nothing but a positive attitude to those around him, said Manobianco, who has worked with McIntosh for two and a half years.

‘He’s dedicated to the students, treats staff really well and has a great personality,’ she said.

McIntosh’s daily work with students and staff not only keeps him occupied, but leaves him feeling rewarded.

‘I never had a boring day in my time here,’ McIntosh said. ‘It’s a unique job. It’s different, that’s for sure.’