Urankar named comptroller for SA

Comptroller-elect Andrew Urankar wasted no time Thursday night after winning his Student Association race, pledging to improve communication between student organizations while helping them make the most out of their student fee.

Urankar, a junior marketing and retailing major, defeated Darius Pakrooh, a sophomore management student, for a position as comptroller for 2005. Urankar won the election with a 10 percent lead over Pakrooh, taking 41 percent of the votes. Pakrooh had 31 percent of the votes, with write-in votes accounting for 27 percent of the polls.

‘Thanks to everyone who helped me,’ Urankar said. ‘I couldn’t be here without their support.’

Urankar has been a member of the finance board since late 2003, and current members of SA are confident Urankar will fulfill his new role.

‘He seems very involved and dedicated,’ said Andrew Lederman, president of SA. ‘He’s been on the finance board for about a year now and it looks like he has a great plan in store for the board and the distribution of the fees.’

Urankar intends to keep in closer contact with student organizations and help them with programming to forge better relationships between the student groups and SA.

‘I hope to help organizations become as successful as they can be and to make the activity fee go as far as possible,’ he said.

Urankar said he is looking forward to the future and said he already has plans to take notes from key people involved with SA on how to improve the organization.

‘I’m looking forward to talking to Maggie (Misztal), Josh McIntosh and Dean Baker,’ Urankar said.

Maggie Misztal, comptroller of SA, expressed excitement about the end of her term on Dec. 31, and said she is looking forward to seeing how the new board will work together.

‘I think it will be an interesting session (next semester),’ Misztal said. ‘I’m very, very, very happy to be leaving.’

Misztal said plans are in motion to teach Urankar the necessary elements in fulfilling the role of comptroller.

‘We’re going to start training ASAP,’ Misztal said.

Urankar will also work with President-elect Travis Mason, who he said he is interested in working with Urankar because the two have known each other since Urankar’s freshman year.

‘I’m really excited to be working with Travis,’ Urankar said. ‘We’re going to make a great team.’

STAFF WRITER JESSICA HORVATH CONTRIBUTED TO THIS STORY