Cantor family station wagon recovered undamaged in city

After an eight-day search, the chancellor’s missing car has finally been recovered.

Chancellor Nancy Cantor’s 2004 dark blue Volvo XC70 station wagon was found Monday in a parking lot at 111 Roney Lane, Det. Tom Connellan said.

The car was found in the far southern portion of the lot, hidden between brush and damaged vehicles, he said. The lot is near South Campus, just 2.13 miles from the chancellor’s residence.

A resident of the city called the Syracuse Police Department after recognizing a suspicious car in the lot, Connellan said.

‘She called it in because she remembered hearing about the SU chancellor’s car, and how it was stolen,’ Connellan said.

The resident did not see the car when she parked around 11 p.m. Sunday, but noticed it tucked away around a van when she returned to the lot Monday morning.

The car suspiciously stood out among the rest of the vehicles, and was found

locked and without any damages, Connellan said.

Madeline Brechin, Cantor’s daughter, reported the car stolen from the chancellor’s residence Aug. 22. A second key to the station wagon had been missing a week prior to the incident and still has not been found.

After locating the car, the Syracuse Police Department reported to SU’s Department of Public Safety, which confirmed that the vehicle indeed belonged to the chancellor.

Cantor’s vehicle was ultimately towed and returned to her driveway, Connellan said. Cantor’s family is excited to have their car returned.

‘Steve and I are thrilled, of course, that the car has been recovered,’ Cantor said. ‘We are very impressed with how well the Syracuse University Department of Public Safety and the Syracuse Police Department worked together in this situation.’

In addition, Cantor is grateful for the thoughtfulness of the community member who reported the stolen car.

‘I would also like to acknowledge the member of our community who was observant and thought to contact the police when she saw a car that matched the description. We are thankful that she took action,’ Cantor said.

Currently, there are no identified suspects and the investigation is continuing.

Anyone with any information as to the incident is encouraged to call the Syracuse Police Department or Public Safety.