Final bands selected to play Block Party in Carrier Dome

Wyclef Jean, Da Band, Talib Kweli and Northern State will perform at this year’s Block Party at 8 p.m. April 25 at the Carrier Dome.

‘I think it’s great that they can attract names that big,’ said Charles Contompasis, a sophomore political science and advertising major. ‘I wish they could hold (the block party) every semester.’

Some of the acts signed on through luck, like Wyclef Jean, who had worked with Da Band on MTV’s ‘Making the Band,’ said Rich Pedine, co-coordinator of the concert from University Union Concerts and senior public relations major.

‘Everything just sort of fell into place,’ he said. ‘Wyclef is someone that a lot of different groups had expressed interest in bringing. I’ve talked to a lot of different people, and they’ve had nothing but good things to say about his live performance.’

But some of the announced acts did not impress some students.

‘Da Band is the stupidest choice ever,’ said Courtney Jones, a freshman public relations major. ‘It might be kind of cool that they’re coming to SU because they’re associated with MTV, and MTV’s cool. But it’s kind of laughable.’

Organizers imagined this year’s concert would be more like a festival, with a variety of smaller acts attractive to more students, rather than one huge act that costs nearly the entire concert budget, Pedine said.

‘As far as what the Syracuse scene offers, we don’t have a lot of hip-hop acts,’ Pedine said. ‘We thought it was a really good blend. We have a couple indie acts, some more mainstream.’

Because anyone can attend the concert, not just students, organizers should work to bring a large mainstream act, like the Red Hot Chili Peppers, in the future, Contompasis said.

‘It’s a lot more money, of course, but it’d bring in more money for the school,’ he added.

Organizers hope that the Dome location will become a tradition for the event.

‘We’re glad they’re using the Dome again. It’s a unique building on campus,’ Pedine said. ‘Having a concert there is something that doesn’t happen a lot.’

Tickets for the concert, sponsored by UU Concerts and the National Panhellenic Council as part of their Greek Unity Fest, are $5 with college ID and $20 without.