Black author speaks at student group induction ceremony

The 10 newest student members of Syracuse University’s African American Male Congress were introduced to the community Friday in Hendricks Chapel during the first African American Male Congress Baccalaureate Ceremony.

The ceremony was designed to recognize the achievements and accomplishments of the existing and new members, said Frank Esson, AAMC president and senior public relations and economics major.

‘It’s an excellent opportunity for me to better myself, do the best that I can in this group,’ said new member Robin Richards, a sophomore computer engineering major.

Michael Eric Dyson, author of ‘Making Malcom: The Myth and Meaning of Malcolm X’ and ‘Holler if You Hear Me: Searching for Tupac Shakur,’ delivered the keynote address.

In his speech, Dyson emphasized the need for strong, intelligent, dignified black men who excel in academics and their careers.

‘There are these young men, who are highly articulate, highly intelligent, highly gifted, with a desire to move forward in the world,’ Dyson said. ‘But at the same time, the reality is that so many of our brothers are beset by tragic circumstances.’

Dyson peppered his speech with references to popular musicians and rap songs, and said that the flashy lifestyle of these musicians does not represent true success from upward mobility.

‘Rappers talk about the struggle: what struggle?’ Dyson said. ‘After you make all that money, what are you going to say after that?’

Dyson also spoke out against the war in Iraq and the Bush administration.

‘The Bloods and the Crips ain’t nothing compared to the military,’ Dyson said. ‘If you really love your soldiers, bring them home.’

Dyson also emphasized the need to not elect Bush in the next election.

‘We’re on a low-carb diet: C – Cheney, A – Ashcroft, R – Rumsfeld, and B – Bush,’ Dyson said.

Dyson also stressed the importance of respecting black women, and said that the recent Janet Jackson Super Bowl controversy left Justin Timberlake blame-free.

‘It was a reenactment of an ancient tradition of a white man trying to exploit a black female,’ Dyson said.

Many members of the audience and of the AAMC enjoyed Dyson’s speech, and some felt inspired to achieve more.

‘Why just do things satisfactorily when you can do more, go above and beyond,’ said new member Jerille Lowe, a sophomore computer engineering major.

Nearly 200 attended the event, including members of the local community, professors and representatives from the Office of Greek Life and Experiential Learning and representatives from Hendricks Chapel.

Colin Seale and Crystal Carter, from Creations Dance Troupe, performed a modern dance sequence and four members from the Black Gospel Choir performed selections.

The AAMC tried to bring Dyson to speak all year and was pleased with his appearance and speech at the event.

‘I’m ecstatic right now,’ Esson said. ‘He’s dynamic: he’s not just one of the leading black intellectuals, but an intellectual, period.’

Following the ceremony, Dyson signed books for the guests at the ceremony and greeted many with hugs and encouragement.

‘You’re going to see these highly articulate, intelligent, good-looking black men defy and crush the stereotypes of the identity of their culture,’ Dyson said.