Southern California looks to clinch national title berth

On a day ABC Sports is calling ‘Championship Saturday,’ the most important game isn’t being played for a conference title.

Southern California should finally be able to clinch a birth in the national championship game with a win over Oregon State. Though it is still technically possible that USC could miss out on a Sugar Bowl birth with a win over the Beavers, last week’s results have more than likely given the Trojans the opportunity earn a shot at the championship on the field.

‘This is really an exciting time for us,’ USC coach Pete Carroll said. ‘This is a great ball game that we are going into with everything riding on this game. There will be tremendous focus about the outcome of the game.’

Led by a potent offense featuring Pacific10 Conference offensive player of the year, sophomore quarterback Matt Leinart, the Trojans have scored more than 40 points in each of their last six games. Replacing 2002 Heisman Trophy winner and NFL No. 1 draft pick Carson Palmer, Leinart has nearly equaled Palmer’s numbers in 2003, throwing for nearly 3,000 yards and 30 touchdowns.

‘He doesn’t make many mistakes,’ said Oregon State coach Mike Riley. ‘He throws the ball to open players and he really plays pretty error-free ball.’

Leinart’s favorite target on offense is sophomore receiver Mike Williams. With 80 receptions and 14 touchdowns this season, Williams was named this week as one of three finalists for the Biletnikoff Award given each season to the best receiver in the nation.

USC’s defensive line, nicknamed the Wild Bunch II, ranks among the best in the nation at stopping both the pass and the run. All-American defensive end Kenechi Udeze leads the Trojans with 12.5 sacks.

Other than in its 34-31 overtime loss to California on Sept. 27, the USC defense has given up less than 25 points in each of its last seven conference games.

‘They’re an outstanding defensive team,’ Riley said. ‘(They are) tremendous up front, so people have not been able to get much rhythm against them.’

Saturday, USC tries to avoid the fate of other teams attempting to secure a national championship game birth on the last Saturday of the regular season.

In 1996, Nebraska entered the inaugural Big 12 championship game against unranked Texas needing a win to play for the championship, but it was upset, 37-27. Two years later Kansas State entered the Big 12 championship game against Texas A&M undefeated and ranked No. 1. The Aggies ended the Wildcats’ hopes of a national championship with a 36-33 double-overtime upset victory.

Oregon State, having already accepted a bid to play New Mexico in the Las Vegas Bowl, has nothing to gain from a victory except spoiling USC’s season. Coming off a bye week, the Beavers come in with a potent offense led by running back and 1,300-yard rusher Steven Jackson.

‘(Being a spoiler) is more interesting to other people than it is to me,’ Riley said. ‘I think this is – for us – a great opponent, a team in our league and it would be an outstanding win.’

Unlike the Beavers, USC is not shying away from the importance of the game. Carroll said he knows a win in Saturday’s game could give his program a historic opportunity to defeat a top team, one he doesn’t want to miss out on.

‘This is kind of the exclamation point of the regular season,’ Carroll said. ‘I know we better our chances by winning on Saturday. We are going to go for it in every way. We will have some fun at the Coliseum.’

Bowl crazy

Here are 3 already set bowl games to watch during Winter Break.

Tangerine Bowl, Dec. 22, Kansas vs. North Carolina State

Why you should watch: The last chance to see senior Wolfpack quarterback Philip Rivers in a college game before the NFL draft. The game also features exciting Kansas quarterback Bill Whittemore.

GMAC Bowl, Dec. 18, Miami (Ohio) vs. Louisville

Why you should watch: To see Miami quarterback Ben Rothlisberger, who has thrown for 3,670 yards this season without anybody noticing.

Continental Tire Bowl, Dec. 27, Pittsburgh vs. Virginia

Why you should watch: To see Pittsburgh wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, the best player in college football, and a very young Cavaliers team that should be very good in the near future.

Awards to Watch:

Doak Walker Award (Best Running Back): The competition is between Michigan’s Chris Perry and Virginia Tech’s Kevin Jones. Look for Perry to get the nod with his strong late-season play.

Davey O’Brien Award (Best Quarterback): Three great candidates, Oklahoma’s Jason White, Rivers and Mississippi’s Eli Manning. It is possible White loses the O’Brien award only to claim the Heisman two days later.

Big Numbers

1.53

The difference in points between USC and LSU in the BCS rankings. The Tigers need a win and some help to propel themselves into a matchup against Oklahoma for the championship.

0-24

The combined records of Army and Southern Methodist, the only two teams in Division I-A without a win. Army can dent that statistic with a win against Navy Saturday.

The Final Heisman Rankings

1. Jason White, QB, Oklahoma – He may not be flashy, but the numbers don’t lie. 40 touchdown passes compared to six interceptions. 3,446 yards passing and a 65 percent completion percentage for one of the most dominate teams in recent memory. Without a total collapse against Kansas State, White has earned the bronze statue.

2. Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Pittsburgh – Unbelievable athlete, 22 touchdown receptions, would be a deserving winner without White to contend with.

3. Chris Perry, RB, Michigan – Came up huge in crucial games late in the season, including a victory over arch-rival Ohio State. Rushed for 1,589 yards for the Big Ten champions heading to the Rose Bowl.

Say What…

USC coach Pete Carroll on the BCS computer rankings, with apologies to computer science majors.

‘The one thing I don’t like is blaming the computers. I don’t think that’s fair at all because some person made up the computers. Somewhere, someone made up the program. That is the guy that we should be blaming.’