Despite Clarett’s absence, OSU in position to get back to title game

Don’t count out the champions, they just keep winning.

After a 16-13 win over Purdue on Saturday, Ohio State is now in position to defend its national championship.

Heading into this week’s game at traditional rival Michigan, the Buckeyes are ranked second in the Bowl Championship Series, a position that would automatically send Ohio State to the national championship game.

In a season plagued by the controversy surrounding former running back Maurice Clarett, Ohio State has continued to win, especially in close games.

The Buckeyes lost on Oct. 11 at Wisconsin, but they have won five consecutive Big Ten games, keeping them in contention for both conference and national championships.

‘We’re confident that we can win (close games),’ defensive tackle Tim Anderson said. ‘We don’t ever get in a position where we panic because it’s a close game.’

The Buckeyes have won five games this season by a touchdown or less, often looking unimpressive in their victories, especially on the offensive side. They have compensated with a No. 1-ranked rushing defense, and OSU is No. 5 in total defense.

Seniors Anderson and defensive end Will Smith lead the Buckeyes’ defensive line that has allowed only 45 rushing yards a game. Head coach Jim Tressel credits the experience of the unit for making it one of the nation’s best.

‘Our defense is special,’ Tressel said. ‘They keep playing and fighting. People come in with great plans against them, and it’s the game of their life to have a chance to play against our defense and our guys just keep fighting and keep fighting and believing in each other.’

What has remained a mystery to the Buckeyes all season has been their lack of a consistent offense. After losing Clarett to academic and legal issues before the season, Ohio State has struggled to find its offensive identity. Junior tailback Lydell Ross has been solid, rushing for 741 yards and nine touchdowns, but he has been nothing close to replacing the explosive production of Clarett.

Expected to take a larger role in the offense, senior quarterback Craig Krenzel’s numbers have fallen. Krenzel has thrown nearly as many interceptions as touchdowns – nine touchdowns and eight picks – and has a completion percentage of only 55 percent.

‘We haven’t been nearly as efficient as we want to be on offense,’ Tressel said. ‘It’s a combination of things. We had a bit of the injury bug and other issues, but we still haven’t found the consistency we want.’

Though the Buckeyes now control their own path toward the national championship game, their toughest test is yet to come.

On Saturday in Ann Arbor, Mich., it will be the 100th year anniversary of the Michigan-Ohio State rivalry. This season, the match-up will also act as the Big Ten championship game, with the winner automatically headed to a BCS Bowl.

‘There’s no doubt you come to a place like Ohio State or you go to a place like Michigan to play in that type of game,’ Krenzel said. ‘You come there because you want to win conference championships, and this year is one of those years where the winner of that game is going to become the conference champ. You come here to play in those games and you come here for that challenge.’

If Ohio State, the team that continues to just win, can meet the challenge and defeat Michigan, OSU could be headed back to the national championship game with another opportunity to pull an upset and silence its critics.

Asked whether Ohio State is lucky or good, Tressel responded in the same simple manner that has become the trademark of both himself and the Buckeyes.

‘I don’t know,’ Tressel said. ‘After the year, I guess we’ll figure that out.’

The Other Big Game

Michigan vs. Ohio State isn’t the only game Saturday that could determine both a conference championship and a bid into a BCS bowl.

No. 15 Mississippi and No. 3 LSU face off Saturday in a game for a spot in the Southeast Conference championship game and the SEC Western Division title.

The game features a classic match-up between LSU, No. 1 in the nation in scoring defense, and Mississippi’s star quarterback Eli Manning.

This is the first time since 1970 both teams have been ranked while playing each other, and it is being called the biggest game on the Oxford, Miss., campus in more than 40 years.

Both teams come into the game with extended winning streaks and road wins last Saturday.

The Rebels defeated Auburn, 24-20, while LSU beat Alabama, 27-3.

‘(LSU) is going to be tough,’ Mississippi defensive lineman Jessie Mitchell said. ‘I think they are playing the best football in the conference. We just have to go out against them and play hard.’

Teams to watch

Texas – A team with a 52-point loss to their credit isn’t supposed to be in the hunt for a BCS bowl bid. But with a victory over Texas A&M Saturday, the Longhorns will do just that.

Because of its tough Big 12 schedule and five-game winning streak, Texas is ranked fifth in the BCS, a position that will guarantee the Longhorns a spot in a BCS bowl if they remain there.

Kansas State – The Wildcats finally broke through Saturday with their first win at Nebraska since 1968.

With a win over Missouri, Kansas State will head back to the Big 12 championship game for a chance to upset Oklahoma. Quarterback Ell Roberson leads the Wildcats with 20 touchdowns.

Big Numbers

45-0

USC shut out Arizona by this blowout score and still dropped to third in the BCS rankings. Go figure.

258

Receiving yards for Lee Evans of Wisconsin in a 56-21 victory over Michigan State. Evans also had five touchdowns in the game, each total is a Big Ten record.

The Very Repetitive Heisman Rankings

1. Jason White, QB, Oklahoma – He may be boring, but throwing another four touchdowns without an interception for the best team in the country has to count for something.

2. Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Pittsburgh – He now has 19 touchdowns this season and 146 yards a game receiving. Is he the best football player in the nation? Yes. Will he win the bronze man? As a sophomore, no.

3. Eli Manning, QB, Mississippi – The only wild card in this year’s Heisman race. He has a national stage this week against LSU to perform. A strong performance could convince enough voters to pull the upset.

Say What?

Undefeated TCU’s coach Gary Patterson comments on the BCS system.

‘I don’t think strength of schedule should have anything to do with it. I also don’t like that a computer doesn’t factor in the intangibles: what the weather was, who was hurt, the crowd. The whole humanistic part is taken out of it. For me not to be able to recruit a kid because we’re not in a BCS conference just isn’t fair.’