Don’t rule out SU offense

The Syracuse field hockey team learned last season that defense may be very important, but you can’t win games if you can’t score goals.

The Orangewomen, who open their season Sunday at 1 p.m. at Kent State, know that to be successful in 2003 they have to improve their offense.

‘We have to create more shots this season,’ Syracuse assistant coach Mary McCracken said, ‘We need to take better advantage of the scoring opportunities that we get.’

Last season, Syracuse managed to score only 25 goals in 21 games and only six during five Big East games, leading them to finish 10-11 (2-3 Big East). This season, McCracken hopes that a new emphasis on offense and a new rule designed to create more scoring chances will lead to more goals in 2003.

The new rule, put into effect worldwide by the International Hockey Federation, makes penalty corner shots into a more effective scoring opportunity. Similar to corner kicks in soccer, a penalty corner is awarded to an offensive team when the defensive team commits one of several infractions inside their own defensive end.

When the penalty corner is called for, an offensive player passes the ball from the goal line to a teammate standing outside the 16-yard circle surrounding the net. During the shot, only five defenders are allowed inside the circle, creating a distinct advantage for the offensive team. Before this season, the player receiving the pass had to completely stop the ball before shooting it at the goal, or passing it to her teammate. Now, the complete stop is no longer required, creating the opportunity for a much more powerful shot off the penalty corner. This increases the advantage for the offense, and in the view of the International Hockey Federation, will create more goals.

McCracken hopes that this rule will create more scoring, especially for her team.

‘This new rule should create more shots and goals out of corners,’ McCracken said. ‘American fans want to see more scoring. Hopefully this rule will help.’

McCracken said that the team worked hard over the summer to improve their offensive skills and have already seen great improvement.

‘There are a lot of people,’ junior Leah McKay said, ‘that can step it up for scoring who have really developed during the spring season.’

Syracuse begins its season against a Kent State team that looks very similar to the Orangewomen. The Golden Flashes feature a team with many new players expected to start in important roles, especially on the offensive end. Senior Jennifer Melnyk returns as Kent State’s leading scorer, but is being forced to switch positions from midfield to attack due to graduation.

Both SU and Kent State also must each face a powerhouse program from the Big Ten early in the season. The Golden Flashes play national semifinalist Michigan State on Saturday, while the Orangewomen will play national runner-up Penn State on Sept. 23.

McCracken doesn’t want to single out any particular players who are ready to pick up a greater responsibility on offense. Instead, she believes field hockey is a game where the scoring must be balanced for a team to be successful.

‘Field hockey has no stars,’ McCracken said. ‘With 11 on the field at once it has to be a team effort. It can’t be like basketball where one individual can take over the game. More people need to be looking to score.’