Lazy Eugene kills the genre

When Lou Reed half talked/half sang on the Velvet Underground’s first album, he laid the groundwork for the slacker rock boom of the ‘90s. The style was never perfect but it had a hip charm that made it endearing.

The musicians responsible for the best slacker rock sounded like they didn’t really care about what they were playing. But the line between being a slacker and being downright lazy is a thin one — that’s the danger in trying to replicate that sound. On Codename Jonah, local scenester Eugene has traveled so deep into the lazy side, he can’t even see the line any more. Eugene makes Pavement look like a group of overachieving honor students.

The first track is a quirky blend of lo-fi guitars, off-kilter attempts at rapping and funky drum machine grooves that unexpectedly drop in and out of the song. Although the poor recording makes it a difficult listen, the song is fun and enjoyable. Unfortunately, the rest of the album is not.

The remaining nine tracks on Codename Jonah are a series of poorly-conceived songs and raps over samples and drum beats that don’t even sync up correctly. The sound on the album ranges from bad to worse and instruments and vocals are often caked with so much distortion that individual sounds become unintelligible.

This album goes way beyond a slacker aesthetic. It seems as if Eugene was just downright lazy.