‘Totally Fabulous!’ queens, kings play packed house

Last night’s “Totally Fabulous!” drag competition was so sexually charged, the organizers’ supply of free condoms ran out before intermission.

The three-hour show saw Syracuse University and SUNY/ESF students performing outrageous and sensual pieces before the constantly screaming audience in Goldstein Auditorium in an effort to be crowned “King/Queen of the Hill.”

Nearly 1,300 people were in attendance at what was characterized by organizers as a “vastly huge success.”

The normally sedate Goldstein was transformed into a raging disco inferno for the show, decked out with disco balls and “fabulous” decorations. But attention-hungry queens and kings were the stars of the show and the audience responded to them with unbridled enthusiasm.

“I can’t even say how great I feel right now,” said co-organizer and Pride Union President Matt Ward or “Candy Sprinkles” after the show’s electric finale. “We will definitely be back next year.”

The show was organized by SU’s Pride Union and AIDS Task Force to raise money for local AIDS causes and the upcoming Rainbow awards dinner in April.

“Keeping people clean, keeping people safe and keeping people alive. That’s what we’re here for,” said AIDS Task Force President Jennifer Pedde as she apologized to the audience for the lack of free condoms.

Free contraceptives or not, support from the community for the event was high, especially from Greek organizations Phi Kappa Psi and Alpha Xi Delta, who each sent a representative to be given a “drag makeover” to convincing results.

Greek participation was hailed by organizers as a big step forward in debunking the stereotypes of the gay and Greek communities. “The Greeks don’t hate the gays!” said Totally Fabulous! emcee Aggie Dune.

Ten professional kings and queens from Muther’s Bar in Rochester dominated the stage for the first half of the show, performing intense numbers as Michael Jackson, Cher and Madonna, among others.

The second half of the show saw performances from 14 SU and SUNY/ESF students lip-syncing to all manner of songs, from Nellie’s “Hot in Herre” to Whitney Houston’s “Queen of the Night.”

“Mike Oxlong” won the “King of the Hill” title for his performance of “Hot in Herre” which prompted the judging panel to take off their tops once he was done.

The “Queen of the Hill” award was bestowed on “Denise” for her salsa-infused performance in fishnet stockings and a jet-black wig. “You get really high marks for dancing in those shoes,” said judge and Syracuse drag queen Cocoa Chanel.

Fifth-year architecture major Robert Dixon thought the performance opened new doors for the SU and Syracuse community.

“It conveys a message to practice safe sex and breaks down a lot of stereotypes,” Dixon said. “Hopefully this will raise some important issues.”