Music executives participate in forum

Music executives from around the country will discuss their profession with Syracuse University students pursuing a career in the music industy.

The S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications and the College of Visual and Performing Arts will sponsor a panel discussion today with some of the top leaders in the music industry.

‘Without Missing A Beat: New Technology and New Audiences Challenge the Music Industry’ will discuss the biggest challenges that panelists and the industry have faced in the last five years and what consumers should expect in the future, said Bridget Lichtinger, special events coordinator at the Newhouse Career Development Center.

The event will run from 7:30 to 9 P.M. in Studio A of Newhouse II. The panelists will discuss the issue for approximately 40 minutes and then a question-and-answer period will follow, said Lichtinger.

David Rezak, adjunct instructor in the College of Visual and Performing Arts, is moderating the discussion. Panelists will include: Steve Leeds, senior vice president for promotion at Virgin Records, Rob Light, chief music agent and partner at the Creative Artists Agency (CAA), Phil Quartararo, executive vice president at EMI Recorded Music North America, John Scher, president and CEO of Metropolitan Talent Inc. and John Sykes, chairman and CEO of Infinity Broadcasting.

All but Scher are members of the Newhouse Advisory Board, said Lichtinger.

‘These are some of the most prominent people in the industry,’ said Lichtinger. ‘Getting all of these people’s schedules together and finding a time to get them in the same room is a miracle in itself.’

Jenna Paone, a freshman musical theater major in the College of Visual and Performing Arts, thinks the panel discussion provide a great opportunity to network.

‘Being exposed to the advice of people who are so successful in a career that I am pursuing is really exciting because it gives a more intimate look at the true nature of the business,’ Paone said. “Experience is always the best form of learning, but the next best thing is learning from those who have had that experience. Plus, something like this can lead to the establishment of business connections in an industry where the people you know can have just as much weight as the person you are.’

The discussion is everyone.

Rob Light and Steve Leeds will also speak at the Newhouse Symposium on Friday at 2:30 p.m.., Lichtinger said.

‘We’re very excited that we were able to get them all here,’ Lichtinger said. ‘This won’t be happening again in a very long time.’