Orangewomen open Big East schedule against Scarlet Knights

Now the real season begins.

After six non-conference games, the Syracuse field hockey team (3-3) opens its Big East schedule against Rutgers (2-4) on Saturday at 1 p.m. in Piscataway, N.J. Last year, the two teams developed a reputation for playing close games.

The Orangewomen also opened their Big East schedule against Rutgers last year, beating the Scarlet Knights, 2-1, as Michelle Aronowicz scored the game-winner early in the second half.

During the playoffs, Syracuse topped Rutgers, 3-2, in the semifinals of the Big East Championships. Rutgers scored first before the Orangewomen netted three second-half goals to advance to the finals. It was the eighth time in the last seven years Syracuse has defeated Rutgers.

‘We’re ready for them,’ senior Michelle Marks said. ‘Any Big East game is always huge competition because we won last year.’

The match will feature two recently-awarded players squaring off. Rutgers junior Leann Grondski was named Big East Offensive Player of the Week but she’ll try to score past SU senior goaltender Audrey Latsko, the reigning Big East Co-Defensive Player of the Week. Latsko recorded two shutouts last week and has started all six games.

But despite Grondski’s efforts, Rutgers is reeling from an ugly 12-1 loss to Michigan State.

The Spartans tallied six goals in each half and outshot the Scarlet Knights, 42-5, at the Big East-Big Ten Challenge held at Syracuse.

‘They lost, so they’re probably going to be more hungry,’ Syracuse junior Jackie Sheaffer said. ‘It’s both of our first Big East games, and we’re always ready for that.’

SU will try to rebound from its 2-0 loss to No. 7 Penn State. Syracuse had several opportunities to score but could not convert, as the Nittany Lions extended their undefeated streak against SU to 21 games.

Slow out of the gate, Syracuse allowed an early goal from Amanda Eckert and never recovered.

Syracuse head coach Kathleen Parker said she wanted her team to be relaxed and start fast. And — according to history — if SU does, it will have an excellent chance of winning. Syracuse has won each game it in which it has scored first this season.

‘We want to be more offensive-minded to start against Rutgers,’ Sheaffer said.

Syracuse will also work on finishing plays. While it has easily slipped past defenses, Syracuse has been unable to finish.

The best example came Sept. 11 against Albany. Despite outshooting Albany, 15-1, in the first half, Syracuse went scoreless until after intermission.

‘We need to be more productive at our 25-yard line,’ Parker said. ‘We’re going to continue to work on our passing game and working the ball quickly through the midfield. We need to get more shots from our work.’