Newhouse Dean to host TV current events show

Maxwell School’s Political Science Professor Kristi Andersen doesn’t enjoy the programming on television, she doesn’t even watch television. But, that doesn’t mean she won’t appear on one of WCNY’s newest local television shows.

‘I’ve always enjoyed when I’ve done TV or radio shows before,’ Anderson said. ‘It goes fast, it’s fun and I enjoy hearing from other smart, interesting people.’

Andersen is one of five professors from various Central New York colleges and universities who is taking part in ‘The Ivory Tower Half Hour,’ a round table discussion of current events. Dean David Rubin of the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications will host the show.

Michael Fields, president and CEO of WCNY, approached Rubin with the basis of the show to increase local programming for the upcoming television season.

‘His idea was to do five local talk shows, one on each night of the week, to counteract the local news,’ Rubin said.

‘The Ivory Tower Half Hour,’ premiering tonight at 11 p.m., will be a somewhat less raucous “Mclaughlin Group” or “Capital Gang,” Rubin said. ‘We don’t intend to yell and scream, but we do hope it will be fun and entertaining.’

Rubin, who is moderating the weekly half-hour show that will reach 19 counties, will introduce two or three current issues to the panelists who will discuss their thoughts on the topics for the majority of the half-hour.

At the conclusion of the show, Rubin will introduce a segment called ‘A’s and F’s,’ when panelist will have an opportunity to grade a public figure or an issue for the week.

‘The point is to allow the rich faculty resources of Central New York to have a platform to speak,’ Rubin said. ‘This will allow viewers to hear things they may not be reading in the local paper or see on local television.’

Andersen agrees with Rubin that the range of panelist from Syracuse University, the State University of New York at Cortland, Cornell University, Cazenovia College and Onondaga Community College will give viewers an opportunity to hear perspectives of professors that are not often heard in the media.

“Personally, I have written about and am concerned with the role of women in politics and public life, that will be interesting to bring into discussion,’ Andersen said.

Andersen, who is now used to the idea of a weekly show, was a bit hesitant when Rubin first brought the show to her attention.

‘At first I thought, ‘No, they want someone other than me, they want someone who enjoys things on television,’ ‘ Andersen said. ‘But I convinced myself to do it. I think it will be an interesting and fun half-hour, and I hope people will watch and take issue with what we are saying.’

Associate Professor Barbara Fought, a broadcast journalism professor at Newhouse, will substitute as moderator when Rubin is not available. Fought thinks the concept of the show is original and hopes the public will respond positively.

‘The philosophy of public broadcasting is to be involved in the community, so I applaud WCNY for doing this,’ Fought said. ‘I hope we can add some interesting and divergent view points to challenge people.’

Fought believes there is a need to discuss national issues from a local perspective, picking up where local news leaves off. ‘I would hope it would be like someone peeking into a conversation at the kitchen table,’ she said.

Andersen agrees that the show forum should be interesting but is concerned the show title may produce negative stereotypes that show professors as protected, privileged people who don’t know what’s going on in the world.

Rubin, who thought of the title, wanted to play on the stereotype and prove that people in the ivory tower do know what’s happening in the world.

“It’s a title with a wink.”