Popular fitness trends to be part of new GYM classes

As sunny days disappear and summer fade away, keeping a bathing suit buff physique becomes increasingly difficult.

While shuffling classes, students may forget to include GYM 101 in their schedule. But by registering for a fitness class offered by Syracuse University Recreation Services, students can make a committment to physical health.

“Especially in college, there’s a whole lifestyle where students find themselves eating too much and drinking too much and not getting enough exercise,” said senior Stacey Moreau, a television, radio and film and business major. “You’ll feel much better if you make a commitment (to exercise) and stick it out for the whole semester.”

Students can register for classes tomorrow at 8 a.m. Schedules are available in Archbold Gymnasium or online at http://students.syr.edu/recreation/. Most of the classes are introductory programs with some at the advanced level, including adult swim and golf lessons. Classes cost between $15 and $75.

This semester, along with old favorites including aerobics and kickboxing, the gym will offer pilates, an exercise that focuses on using the entire body and improving flexibility and strength. Moreau describes it as “yoga for athletes” and said while the exercise is difficult, students can vary poses and work at a beginner level.

The technique, which like yoga engages both the body and mind, has gained popularity in fitness communities worldwide.

“We’re thinking pilates will be very popular,” said David Sargalski, assistant director for facilities, wellness and aquatics. “We’ve been hearing students say they wanted that.”

Sargalski said in past years, yoga classes have been a popular workout for students looking for both physical, and mental, stress relief.

“It’s total body,” he said. “Not only mentally, but physically it works the whole body.”

While the gym does not offer any weight training classes, students can use the aerobic classes as a supplement to their traditional workout, Sargalski said. The classes are taught by students and people from the community. Moreau started teaching classes as a freshman as a way to stay in shape.

“I was interested in fitness and I just thought it was a good way to extend that interest,” she said.

With the variety of classes, students will be able to find something that interests them, she added.

Class sizes range between four, for smaller classes like squash, to 35 for aerobics. Along with the physical benefits, the classes allow students and opportunity to socialize with others with similar interests.

“It’s a great way to meet people you wouldn’t normally meet on campus and get a great workout,” Sargalski said.