Governor commemorates 9/11 tragedy

One of 3-year-old Briana Suhr’s little hands laid tenderly in the hand of her mother. The other clenched an American flag as the pair watched the dedication of the Sept. 11 memorial Friday afternoon at the New York State fairgrounds.

The Suhrs joined about 200 other people who lost family in the attack and state officials to remember the tragedy and unveil a new memorial. Several hundred fairgoers also stopped to observe the ceremony.

Nancy Suhr, Briana’s mother, had tears in her eyes as she spoke of her husband, a New York City firefighter who lost his life in the attack. A heart-shaped locket around her neck carried a picture of her family, a remembrance of her husband.

“We need never forget that horrific day when all of our lives were changed,” she said.

The eight towers of the memorial will have names of the victims lost in the attacks engraved on them and two have pictures of the World Trade Center before and after the attack. The centerpiece of the memorial is a beam from one of the towers and an eternal flame, which Gov. George E. Pataki and Lieutenant Gov. Mary O. Donohue lit at the ceremony.

“This eternal flame will burn throughout eternity as a symbol of our love for the heroes we lost on Sept. 11,” said Pataki, who wore an American flag pin on his suit..

After lighting the flame, Pataki softly touched the centerpiece beam of the memorial, which will serve as a tribute to those who lost their lives during the attacks and the recovery efforts.

Though the attacks challenged New York state, its residents reacted with courage, he said. He commended those who lost loved ones in the attacks for being an inspiration to the rest of the nation.

“The people of America have taken strength from your courage,” he said.

Pataki recognized those who assisted in the recovery at Ground Zero, adding that the statewide effort helped unified the state.

“Never in my life have I ever seen our state and our country as unified as we are today,” he said.

Before the ceremony, ushers passed out little American flags and red, white and blue ribbons. Despite light rain, audience members were asked to not use umbrellas so others could see the dedication.

The governor sat in the front row of the ceremony with the Suhrs and Mark Morabito, who lost his wife in the attack. He comforted them when they returned from speaking with hugs and kind words.

“Sept. 11 was a day of the most personal loss one must face,” Morabito said.

Suhr remembered her husband’s birthday last August and her memories of spending summers with him in Syracuse when they were teenagers.

“What a difference a year can make,” she said.

Syracuse Mayor Matt Driscol was among officials to unveil the memorial. After the ceremony, he said that it is in honor to have such a memorial in Syracuse. It means a great deal to recovery workers from Syracuse, he added.

Following the lighting of the eternal flame, Pataki cut the ribbon to signal the start to the fair. The families of victims and fairgoers lined up to pay respects at the monument. In the crowd was Sherry Krawczyk, of Oswego, who said people throughout the state will get exposure to the memorial. Its presence will help people understand the tragic events, she added.

“It will bring people closer to what actually happened that day,” she said.