Fire damages 2 homes on Ackerman Avenue

Nick Robertson | Senior Staff Writer

955 Ackerman Ave. suffered extensive fire and water damage while damage at 959 Ackerman Ave. was minimal.

A fire damaged the upper levels of two homes on Ackerman Avenue on Sunday night.

The fire started in the attic of 955 Ackerman Ave. and spread next door to the upper level of 959 Ackerman Ave., according to fire officials on the scene. No injuries have been reported.

The building of 955 Ackerman Ave. suffered extensive fire and water damage while the damage at 959 Ackerman Ave. was minimal, said Syracuse Fire Department Executive Deputy Chief Rick Kisselstein. The cause of the fire is currently unknown and under investigation, he said.

A SUNY-ESF student who only identified himself as Bob said that he called 911 after noticing a fire above his apartment. He lives on the second floor of 955 Ackerman Ave.

“The fire alarm went off and we checked the downstairs apartment when we noticed the attic was on fire. I opened the door and saw smoke billowing out,” he said.

The student said that a dog in the attic apartment had died, which fire officials could not confirm. He also said the resident of the attic apartment was not home at the time of the fire.

Syracuse University junior Aidan Harrington, who lives on the first floor of 955 Ackerman Ave., returned home after the fire had started to see six fire trucks in front of his house.

“I’m confused about where I’m going to live now, because I won’t be able to live here anymore,” he said.

The Red Cross was on scene to help residents locate their possessions and find a place to stay.

This post will be updated with additional reporting.