Boeheim says Buddy, Jimmy, Cole Swider won’t return next year

Courtesy of Dennis Nett | Syracuse.com

Buddy Boeheim and Cole Swider are not expected to return to Syracuse next season.

Head coach Jim Boeheim confirmed after Syracuse’s loss to Duke that starters Buddy Boeheim, Jimmy Boeheim and Cole Swider don’t plan to return next season. Buddy also separately confirmed to The Daily Orange that he expects this to be his last year at SU.

I talked to Cole at the beginning of the year, he said he wanted to play here one year. I talked to Jimmy at the beginning of the year, he said he wanted to play one year. I talked to Buddy numerous times, he said he wanted to finish this year,” Boeheim said.

“That’s how we recruited, that’s what we’ve told everybody and that’s what’s going to happen. Nothing has changed.”

On Boeheim’s Thursday night radio show, he also said the Orange will have three new starters. Juniors Joe Girard III and Jesse Edwards are expected to return, along with freshman Benny Williams, Boeheim said. Swider and Buddy each had one more year of eligibility remaining, while Jimmy was planning on petitioning the NCAA for a fifth season — a request that was never officially approved. 

Boeheim said he planned the upcoming recruiting class based on the decisions of Buddy, Jimmy and Swider. He expects to add six or seven players to next year’s team. The Orange currently have five commits in their 2022 recruiting class

The head coach also confirmed that he plans to return next season and will not be retiring. Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski was also asked if Boeheim expressed interest in retiring, and he said that Boeheim hadn’t said anything to indicate he wouldn’t be returning.

“Because we’re having a bad year, you want me to quit? I don’t quit cause we’re having a bad year,” Boeheim said. “I’ll be coaching next year.”