State

Rep. John Katko will not seek reelection to Congress in 2022

The Republican congressman has been representing New York's 24th Congressional District, including Onondaga County, since 2015.

Rep. John Katko, R-Camillus, announced Friday that he would not seek reelection in 2022. Katko made the announcement on his campaign Facebook page, citing family reasons for his decision.

“Over the course of the past three years, my wife Robin and I buried all four of our parents. To say that those gut-wrenching times provided life-changing perspective for me is putting it mildly,” Katko wrote. “That’s why, after 32 years of public service, I have decided not to seek re-election to Congress, so that I can enjoy my family and life in a fuller and more present way.”

The Republican congressman has been representing New York’s 24th Congressional District, including Onondaga County, since 2015 after succeeding Democratic Dan Maffei. He was reelected three times, defeating Colleen Deacon in 2016 and Dana Balter in 2018 and 2020, though the district favored the Democratic presidential candidates Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden.

Katko was the first House Republican who publicly supported the impeachment of former President Donald Trump following the insurrection on Jan. 6, 2021, at the U.S. Capitol. He was also among the 13 House Republicans who voted in favor of President Biden’s $1.2 trillion infrastructure bill.

“Representing Central New York in Congress — solving real problems, and relentlessly championing bipartisanship — has been the honor and privilege of a lifetime,” Katko wrote. “It is with profound gratitude for my colleagues, staff, supporters, team, and the people of New York’s 24th Congressional District that I am thrilled to begin this next and best chapter of my life alongside Robin and our family.”