SU mandates COVID-19 vaccine or negative test for commencement attendees

It is still unclear if guests will be allowed to attend the ceremony.

Syracuse University will require all graduates attending its commencement ceremony to show proof of vaccination or to comply with testing requirements, the university announced in an email Wednesday. 

Those who show proof of vaccination must have completed their vaccine series at least 14 days before the ceremony — meaning students receiving the Pfizer vaccine must receive their first dose by Saturday. Students receiving the single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine, which has been paused in Onondaga County, must receive it by May 7. 

It is still unclear if guests will be allowed to attend the ceremony and what testing or vaccination requirements they must follow.

Students would have needed to receive the first dose of the Moderna vaccine before last Saturday to comply with the vaccination requirement. 

Those who have not completed vaccination must either show proof of a negative PCR test within 72 hours of the ceremony or a negative antigen test within six hours of the event. 

Gov. Andrew Cuomo released guidance earlier this week that stated in-person indoor graduation ceremonies with over 250 people must be held at 10% capacity. If SU were to hold commencement in the Carrier Dome, which has a capacity of just over 49,000 people, the ceremony would be limited to about 4,900 people.

The guidelines, effective May 1, vary based on the size and location of the ceremony. SU’s graduation is slated for the weekend of May 22. 

SU has said the ceremony could be held outdoors, instead of the Dome, to accommodate a larger crowd. 

For outdoor ceremonies with over 500 people in attendance, the venue can only be at 20% capacity, Cuomo said. Outdoor ceremonies with 200 to 500 people can be held at 33% capacity, and those with under 200 people can be held at 50% capacity with no testing or vaccination requirement.

SU has said that any in-person ceremony will be livestreamed regardless of occupancy limits. The university will provide more information about its plans for the ceremony in the coming weeks.

The university is also planning an in-person ceremony for the Class of 2020 in September.