Ice Hockey

Syracuse draws RIT, 2-2, in 2nd game of series

Emily Steinberger | Design Editor

Syracuse recorded a season-high shot total for the second straight night.

A day after Syracuse put a season-high 59 shots on net in a 3-1 win against RIT, the Orange and Tigers met in Rochester for the second half of the home-and-home series. 

Despite peppering RIT with 63 shots, the Orange (10-12-2, 8-4-2 College Hockey America) were only able to put two past Tiger goalie Terra Lanteigne, who stopped 117 of 122 total shots this series. RIT (9-16-3, 2-11-1) had fewer than half of the Orange’s opportunities but slotted two of its 29 shots past SU goalie Allison Small in Saturday’s 2-2 draw.

Syracuse surpassed Friday’s season-high shot total by four, but couldn’t earn the same result. By the end of the first period alone, Syracuse had 24 shots on net. 

Junior forward Emma Polaski opened up the game’s scoring 20 seconds into the second period, her eighth tally of the year for the Orange. Midway through the second period, RIT freshman Jaymee Nolan scored two goals within two minutes to give the Tigers a 2-1 lead. The situation looked dire for the Orange, until Abby Moloughney converted a power-play opportunity into a goal, tying the game at two, where it would remain as the final seconds of overtime wound down. 

Head coach Paul Flanagan stated Friday night that although the Orange had put more shots on net, the quality of the RIT shots was superior. It seems that it repeated itself in Rochester. 

Saturday’s tie marks the Orange’s second of the season, the other coming against Penn State on Nov. 23. Although this draw snaps the Orange’s three-game win streak, this is the fourth consecutive match that Syracuse recorded at least one point.