Food Column

Here are ‘Game of Thrones’ inspired snacks for your season watch party

Sarah Allam | Illustration Editor

The long-awaited, final season of Game of Thrones has arrived. After years of following along — or maybe a week of binging to catch up— fans around the world are now able to see who ends up on the Iron Throne.

The first episode of season eight aired Sunday night on HBO, and if you’re like me, you’ll celebrate this final season with some drinks, food and friends for a GOT watch party.

What’s better than a GOT watch party? A GOT watch party with GOT-inspired food and drink. Here are some fun suggestions to make this final season one to remember.

Jon Snow Punch

This sweet beverage is a nice, cool drink, perfect as the weather begins to warm up a bit. It’s made with bananas, coconut, lemon, lime and pineapple, but if you’re feeling up to it and are 21 or older, you can add a bit of white rum or some other liquor that goes well with this mix of flavors. Not only does it taste great, but if one of your favorite characters is Jon Snow, it’s a great way to support him, as well.

jon_snow_punch-1

Amy Nakamura | Senior Design Editor

Game of Thrones Beer

It’s getting to that time of year where exams and papers are coming up. If you don’t have time to make your own drinks between studying, try some of this GOT-inspired beer. Brewery Ommegang, a brewery from Cooperstown, has teamed up with HBO to create some drinks inspired by the show. They have a blonde ale, barley-wine ale, smoked porter, barrel-aged stout and a golden ale-pinot grigio blend.

Pigeon Pie

This dish comes right from the show itself. Pigeon pie is a dish enjoyed at ceremonies and parties all throughout the Seven Kingdoms. This dish — which is not actually made with pigeons — is a hearty meat. This recipe uses ground beef and pork as well as many spices to make a delicious and savory dish.

Bowl of Brown

If you think the common people of the Seven Kingdoms get ignored too often and you want to experience food from their point of view, then this is the dish for you. Bowl of Brown is a dish normally eaten by the peasants of King’s Landing. This recipe, which still tastes great, will give you the opportunity to feel what it’s like to live in King’s Landing in the heart of the Seven Kingdoms.

Sansa’s Favorite Lemon Cakes

If you’re a huge GOT fan, then you might know that lemon cakes are a personal favorite of Sansa Stark, which is shown in seasons three and four, as well as the books. Inspired by Sansa’s favorite treat, here’s a delicious recipe for lemon pound cake muffins. Not only are they perfect as a great tasting snack, but as small and easy to share treats they’re great for a viewing party.

Honey Cakes

If lemon isn’t your thing, then give this recipe a try. Honey Cakes, as referred to in the books, are the perfect watch party treat. They are easy to share and deliciously sweet. After enjoying some pigeon pie or bowl of brown, these are perfect to munch on while drinking some GOT ale.

With these recipes, you will be all set for the long-awaited final season. Not only will you be able to see who ends up sitting on the Iron Throne, but you can feast like them too.