GREEK LIFE

SU Greek life survey shows students have divided thoughts on fraternities, sororities

Hieu Nguyen | Staff Writer

About 48 percent of students not involved in Greek life said fraternities and sororities don’t have a positive impact on SU.

UPDATED: Sept. 30, 2018 at 12:30 p.m.

Syracuse University students are divided over whether fraternities and sororities have a positive impact on campus life, according to the results from SU’s Greek life survey that were released Friday afternoon.

About 48 percent of students who aren’t involved in Greek life said that fraternities and sororities don’t have a positive impact on SU, per the survey. The majority of students in Greek life said their experiences have helped them feel connected to SU, and that their involvement has helped them make connections with other students.

More than half of non-Greek respondents said they did not agree that fraternities and sororities promote the health and well-being of their members, and nearly 42 percent of non-Greek respondents said they don’t feel comfortable interacting with Greek life organizations and their members.

greek-life-grpahics3

Anna Henderson and Abby Fritz | Digital Design Editors

The survey was first sent to undergraduate students during the summer as part of SU’s Greek life review, which was announced in the wake of the Theta Tau controversy last spring. Undergraduate students who were enrolled for the fall 2018 semester and had spent one fall or spring semester on campus were asked to participate in the survey.

Respondents were given different questions depending on if they identified themselves as a member of a Greek life organization. About 48 percent of survey respondents said they were members of Greek life.

More than 97 percent of students in Greek life said they agree that their organizations helped them interact with other students. About 40 percent of non-Greek respondents said they did not feel students in fraternities or sororities socialized with people outside Greek organizations.

More than half of non-members said they disagree that “fraternities and sororities encourage their members to be themselves.” About 92 percent of Greek life members agreed with the same statement.  

greek-life-grpahics2-1

About 86 percent of those in Greek life said they strongly agree that they had a safe joining process, and about 55 percent said they strongly agree that their organizations have programming designed to help members better understand issues like sexual assault, substance abuse and mental wellness, among other things.

SU released the results of the survey in an SU News release late Friday afternoon. A total of 3,820 students responded out of the 9,163 who were able to participate. Incoming undergraduates and graduate students were not included in the survey.

greek-life-grpahics-1

Michele Wheatly, vice chancellor and provost, and Dolan Evanovich, senior vice president for enrollment and the student experience, said in a campus-wide email sent shortly after the results were released that the Greek Life Review Committee will use the survey results in their evaluation of Greek life policies, programs and culture.

The external Greek life consultants SU hired during the summer are expected to finish a final report in early November, per the release.

It is unclear whether the report will be publicly released. Sarah Scalese, SU’s senior associate vice president for university communications, did not immediately respond to a request for comment on this story Friday afternoon.

Since the beginning of the 2017-18 academic year, SU has suspended or expelled four fraternities and one sorority because of conduct violations, according to SU’s Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs.

Seven other fraternities are under investigation or sanctions for conduct violations, according to FASA.

CLARIFICATION: Michele Wheatly and Dolan Evanovich sent the campus-wide email after the results were released.