ON CAMPUS

More than 50 people protest Kavanaugh, sexual assault on SU Quad

Dan Lyon | Staff Photographer

Protesters chanted and recalled experiences with sexual assault while protesting Judge Brett Kavanaugh’s Supreme Court nomination on Thursday.

More than 50 people gathered on the Syracuse University Quad to protest Judge Brett Kavanaugh’s Supreme Court nomination and sexual assault culture on Thursday as the first of Kavanaugh’s accusers answered questions at a public Senate hearing.

The protesters called on senators to reject Kavanaugh’s nomination after three women publicly accused Kavanaugh of misconduct against women, including sexual assault. On Thursday, the Senate Judiciary Committee heard testimony from Christine Blasey Ford, a professor in California, who alleged Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her at a high school house party in 1982. Kavanaugh has denied the allegations.

“Say it once! Say it again! No excuses for violent men!” the protesters shouted soon after the demonstration began at noon. Some held makeshift signs and posters urging people to reject Kavanaugh and call their senators.

Multiple people at the protest said they or people they knew had experienced sexual assault as children or teenagers.

“This is a world where sexual assault happens,” said Lizzie Kauma, a sophomore in the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications, after describing experiences with sexual harassment in front of the crowd. “We can’t let it invade the place that is supposed to protect us: our courts.”

(name needed)

Nicole Aramboles, a freshman in the College of Visual and Performing Arts, participates in a protest against Judge Brett Kavanaugh on the Quad. Dan Lyon | Staff Photographer

Many people expressed sympathy for Ford, who did not publicly speak about her alleged sexual assault until it was published in The Washington Post earlier this month. Ford, who initially requested her allegations against Kavanaugh be kept confidential among senators, said Thursday that she’s been the target of death threats and harassment.

Some people said at the SU protest Thursday that they previously did not speak about their sexual assault experiences because they did not think people would believe them.

“We need to stand in solidarity with survivors,” said Crystal Letona, an SU senior and president of Students Advocating Sexual Safety and Empowerment. “This not believing them, this is just stupid.”

kavprotest_coreyhenry_sp-3

People hold hands in a moment of silence for sexual assault survivors. Corey Henry | Staff Photographer

Near the end of the protest, people gathered in a circle and held hands in a moment of silence for sexual assault survivors. People passed around black sharpies and wrote “I believe” on their hands to support women who come forward with sexual assault allegations.

Abigail Tick, a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences, said she fears her future well-being as a woman could be negatively impacted by Kavanaugh’s confirmation.

“To see all of these people miss their classes … and come out here and just be together in solidarity, it’s everything,” she said.