Letters to the Editor

Department of Drama Chair addresses distinction between Syracuse Stage and Drama Department

To the editors:

In the interest of promoting the high journalistic standards and professional best practices to which I know the Daily Orange aspires, I write in response to an Oct. 4 article on the Department of Drama’s production of “Crazy for You.” And in the interest of full disclosure, I will point out that I was unable to respond in a timely fashion to an interview request for the article.

Both the Department of Drama and Syracuse Stage are grateful to see our work covered by The D.O., as it is imperative that the immediate campus community and the wider university community of alumni and friends are aware of the work that we do. Further, it is important to acknowledge and celebrate the value of the performing arts and their contribution to the academic, social and cultural life of the university and the city of Syracuse.

At the same time, it is necessary that everyone understands that the Department of Drama — an academic unit within the College of Visual and Performing Arts — and Syracuse Stage — an independent professional theater company with a close relationship to both the University and the Department of Drama — are separate entities who enjoy a unique and mutually beneficial partnership. They are not the same entity.

Taken together, the headline and accompanying photo and caption blur this important distinction. “Crazy for You” is a Department of Drama production. In order to maintain factual accuracy, foster professional courtesy and uphold professional ethics, it should not be presented as, nor confused with, the work of Syracuse Stage.

It has been my experience that misperception of the relationship between the two organizations is amplified by the fact that the building which we both occupy at 820 E. Genesee St. is often referred to as “the Stage” or “Syracuse Stage.” For this reason, we, the leadership of both Stage and Drama, prefer to call it the Syracuse Stage/Department of Drama Complex or, more succinctly, “Stage/Drama Complex” or “Stage/Drama”.

I hope to see this distinction more clearly articulated — and this relationship more fully and accurately depicted —  in future articles, as I hope to see continued coverage of the performing arts. And I hope to see many members of the university community in attendance at all productions of both Stage and Drama.

Sincerely,

Ralph Zito

Professor and Chair, Department of Drama

College of Visual and Performing Arts