Student Association

Andrew Brendel drops out of Student Association presidential race, endorses Charlie Mastoloni

Zach Barlow | Asst. Photo Editor

At an SA debate at the end of March, the three sets of candidates gave their thoughts on issues relevant to SU.

Andrew Brendel is dropping out of the Syracuse University Student Association presidential race and endorsing candidates Charlie Mastoloni and Jessica Brosofsky for president and vice president, respectively.

“With (Mastoloni and Brosofsky) I will campaign to help them win the election,” said Brendel, a junior marketing and entrepreneurship and emerging enterprises double major, in a statement to The Daily Orange on Tuesday night. “They are far more qualified for this position than their opponents.”

Brendel submitted a second statement on his decision to The D.O. on Tuesday night.

Aside from Mastoloni and Brosofsky, who both have past experience in SA, the only remaining pair running for president and vice president, respectively, is Eric Evangelista and Joyce LaLonde. Evangelista is currently the longest-serving member of SA and serves as SA recorder. LaLonde has never served in SA before.

Before dropping out of the race, Brendel contacted Mastoloni’s campaign to request a position in Mastoloni’s administration if he were to win the election, said Austin Galovski, Mastoloni’s campaign manager.

“I basically told him, ‘Hey look, we’re good with this on our end, and we’ll totally help you with whatever you want to do,’” Galovski said.