National

Syracuse University falls to No. 61 in national ranking

Syracuse University fell to the No. 61 spot in the 2016 U.S. News and World Report National University rankings, which were released Wednesday morning.

SU, which earned the No. 58 spot last year, shares the No. 61 spot this year with four other universities: Clemson University, Purdue University – West Lafayette, Southern Methodist University and the University of Georgia.

Seven Atlantic Coast Conference schools ranked ahead of SU—including Duke University at No. 8, the University of Notre Dame tied for 18th, the University of Virginia at No. 26, Wake Forest University tied for 27th, Boston College and the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill tied for 30th and the University of Miami at No. 51.

SU had the seventh-highest ranking of any New York state college. According to the U.S. News and World Report website, SU had a fall 2014 acceptance rate of 53.2 percent and its freshman retention rate is 92 percent.

The State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry also ranked lower on the 2016 list. SUNY-ESF fell 13 spots from their spot last year at No. 76 to No. 89. SUNY-ESF is one of three top-ranked SUNY schools on the Best National Universities list.

The top four ranked schools held their spots from last year’s list. Princeton University stayed on top at No. 1, with Harvard University and Yale University taking the second and third spots, respectively. Columbia University, Stanford University and the University of Chicago all remain tied for fourth.

The rankings, which are released annually, factor in each university’s acceptance rate, class size, freshman retention rate and five most popular majors, according to the U.S. News and World Report website. The rankings also list each school’s tuition and fees, enrollment and setting, along with a brief description of the school.