SU Abroad

Syracuse University cuts Paris Noir program due to low enrollment, student creates petition to bring it back

Last Wednesday one of Syracuse University’s summer study abroad programs — Paris Noir — was cut by the university, a decision that has sparked pushback from students.

The 14-year-old program, co-administered by the African American Studies department and SU Abroad, takes students on a five-week trip through Paris exploring Black literature, art and life.

According to the SU Abroad Twitter account, the Paris Noir program was canceled due to low enrollment for the summer. SU Abroad said in a tweet they look forward to running the program again next year.

A petition to bring back the program was started on Change.org by Danielle Reed, a junior majoring in Spanish and African American studies. The petition currently has 277 signatures.

Nine students who had been accepted to the program were not informed about the potential elimination of the program and the creator and adviser, Janis Mayes, was not notified until the final decision was made, according to the Change.org petition.

“I just noticed a very alarming road that the new administration has embarked on, and as a member of THE General Body and as an African American student, I have become alarmed of what may come next,” Reed said. “Programs that support minority groups or celebrate diversity have experienced lower enrollment and less financial support from the administration.

Recent developments have made it so specific students must pay more out of pocket to go on the trip. Seventeen students were required for the program this summer and more than that number — 19 students — applied. While there were some issues with deadlines, only nine students were admitted to the program and three of the accepted students had already paid for it, according to the Change.org petition.

Mayes, a professor in the African American Studies department and a professor involved with Paris Noir, said: “We are keen on the program going this year.”

Recent winner of the Sojourner Truth Community Service Award, Mayes has been on the trip, and said students have been positively affected through the program.

“Paris Noir alums from colleges and universities are terribly disturbed and shocked that such a thing is happening at Syracuse,” Mayes said.