Pulp

Light Work exposed: Photo gallery celebrates 40th anniversary with pictures from the past

Photography is a revealing art form, yet one of its major presences in Syracuse — Light Work — hides quietly in an unassuming corner on campus.

Tucked away on the Waverly Avenue side of Watson Hall, Light Work is a small organization that supports emerging photographers and provides darkroom space for the Syracuse community. This year marks its 40th anniversary, and the gallery is currently showing an exhibit that celebrates its past successes while looking toward the future. The exhibit, entitled “40 Artists / 40 Years: Selections from the Light Work Collection,” is free and will be on view until Oct. 25.

The executive director of Light Work, Jeffrey Hoone, who has led the organization for more than 30 of its 40 years, selected the works for the show — featuring works from the organization’s 3,500-piece collection.

The celebratory exhibit is presented in the recently-dedicated Kathleen O. Ellis Gallery and displays a wide variety of photographic work.

Hoone chose one photograph by a former artist-in-residence from each year of Light Work’s history to represent the hundreds of artists it has supported. Artists are encouraged to donate a piece at the conclusion of their residency. Museum studies Syracuse University alumna Jessica Breedlove assisted Hoone when preparing the show.

Hoone writes in his gallery notes that the “exhibition is a small record of the work that we have collected over the past forty years, but only evidence of an incomplete story.” Still, he also states that the supportive relationship formed between Light Work and its community of artists is the ultimate reward.

Supporting artists has been Light Work’s mission since its creation.

In 1973, SU students Phil Block and Tom Bryan created Light Work while running Community Darkrooms. During that same year, Light Work became officially recognized as a nonprofit corporation, allowing it to fundraise.

According to Hoone’s notes, the relationship between the Community Darkrooms and Light Work is very close and mutually supportive.

“Working in collaboration with Community Darkrooms at Syracuse University, Light Work has concentrated on supporting emerging and under-recognized artists,” he wrote.

Light Work then developed rapidly, beginning its artist-in-residence program and publishing the first issue of its magazine, “Contact Sheet,” within its first four years of existence.

Today, Light Work publishes five issues of “Contact Sheet” and hosts 12 artists-in-residence along with four gallery shows each year.

“40 Artists / 40 Years” includes works by photography heavyweights like Cindy Sherman, Carrie Mae Weems and John Gossage. Having been supported by Light Work while largely unknown, the success of these photographers testifies to the impact the organization can have on an artist’s career, said Sarah Sellman, the communications coordinator for Light Work.

Encompassing four decades of work, the exhibition also spans the varied possibilities of photography as a medium of expression. The show includes portraits, landscapes, abstract works and even a cross-stitched photograph. Visitors can even view one artist’s photographs through a View-Master toy, a handheld device for viewing photos in a slideshow format.

Though the exhibit celebrates 40 years of art, its photographs are not arranged chronologically. Instead, they are “mixed together by content and tone,” explained Sellman. The arrangement allows visitors to draw connections between works. For example, many of the photographs depict life in Syracuse and Central New York, captured by artists during their residencies.

The organization has grown significantly in four decades, transforming from a small, little-known gallery into an influential and internationally recognized institution. But in spite of that, Light Work is committed to its original mission to support artists and serve the public. Earlier this spring, the exhibit was even on display at the Palitz Gallery at Syracuse University’s Joseph I. Lubin House in New York City.

In keeping with that mission to serve the community, Light Work will hold a reception celebrating the exhibit on Thursday, Sept. 26, from 5-7 p.m. The event will be free and open to the public.

As a symbol of Light Work’s history and future, the exhibit is only the tip of the iceberg.

Said Shane Lavalette, Light Work director: “(Light Work) is here to provide something to do and something to look at, but it’s also here for the public.”