Alyssa Latham’s fifth double-double of the season boosts Syracuse to upset win over No. 13 Notre Dame

Joe Zhao | Asst. Photo Editor

Alyssa Latham finished with 21 points and 12 rebounds, recording her fifth double-double of the season.

Support The Daily Orange this holiday season! The money raised between now and the end of the year will go directly toward aiding our students. Donate today.

Alyssa Latham picked up her fourth foul with six seconds remaining in the third quarter. It was Latham’s second foul in less than a minute and her third foul in the quarter, a freshman mistake, something Latham hasn’t done much this season. The foul forced Syracuse head coach Felisha Legette-Jack to start the fourth quarter with Latham on the bench.

The forward returned when the game was tied at 67 with just under 5:39 minutes remaining in the fourth quarter. For the next four and a half minutes, Latham made her presence felt on both ends, helping Syracuse outscore Notre Dame 12-3 before fouling out with 1:09 remaining. Despite picking up her fifth foul, Latham’s job was already complete with a win all but sealed for SU.

Dyaisha Fair’s shot making in the fourth quarter stole the show for the Orange, but it was Latham’s presence down low which proved key. The freshman forward finished with 21 points and 12 rebounds, recording her fifth double-double of the season as Syracuse (11-1, 1-0 Atlantic Coast Conference) upset No. 13 Notre Dame (9-2, 0-1 ACC) 86-81. Latham did it all for the Orange, going 9-for-18 from the field including knocking down a career-high two 3-pointers on three attempts. Despite fouling out, Latham’s work was done. The Orange led by six with 1:09 remaining.

“It was just learning from nonconference play and how to play with four fouls,” Latham said about her foul trouble. “It was working on my timing. I know a couple of times I went too early or you know too late, but it’s really just staying in place and staying smart.”

Entering Sunday, much of the pregame attention was focused on the point guard battle between Fair and Notre Dame freshman Hannah Hidalgo. The hype was justified, with Hidalgo — a McDonald’s All-American — scoring a career-high 32 points and Fair finishing with 27. But outside of the two star point guards, Latham scored the most points out of any player and finished with the most rebounds.

Latham’s offense started early on. Georgia Woolley drew two defenders on a drive before kicking to a wide-open Latham at the top of the key who drained just her second 3-pointer of the season, putting Syracuse up 7-0 and forcing a timeout from Notre Dame head coach Niele Ivey. Latham’s seven first quarter points paced Syracuse as the Orange remained deadlocked with the Irish at 19.

The freshman broke the tie with another 3-pointer on Syracuse’s first possession of the second quarter. It was the first time all season, Latham had attempted multiple shots from beyond the arc, going 2-for-3 from deep.

Syracuse’s roster is full of veteran players. Highlighted by Fair and Alaina Rice who’ve played a combined 10 seasons of college basketball between the two of them. Along with Woolley and Kyra Wood, SU’s upperclassmen give the Orange an experienced squad, but Latham was the driving force during the first half, in which Fair didn’t get much going. Fair’s six-point spurt at the end of the half gave her 11 points at the break, but it was Latham who held the Orange together.

Heading into Sunday, Syracuse’s marquee win of the season was a 79-73 victory over Alabama on Nov. 30. The Orange were boosted by a career-game from Latham who finished with 23 points and 12 rebounds. On Sunday, Latham may have topped that performance in Syracuse’s Atlantic Coast Conference opener.

Latham connected on a midrange jumper to put Syracuse up 44-38 to start the second half, but the Orange weren’t able to separate from Notre Dame. Maddy Westbeld eventually knocked down a 3-pointer to put the Irish up 52-51 with five minutes remaining in the third. But Latham answered immediately. After dribbling into the frontcourt, Latham dished the ball to Saniaa Wilson on the wing. Latham cut down the middle of the lane and Wilson hit her in stride before finishing at the rim to put the Orange back in front.

Syracuse led 61-59 when Latham picked up her fourth foul of the game and was immediately subbed out. Notre Dame finished the quarter with six straight points, leading by as much as five at one point in the fourth.

30 seconds after Latham subbed back in during the fourth quarter, Hidalgo drove the lane and the defense collapsed. Hidalgo dished to Kylee Watson who looked to have a wide-open layup, but Latham slid across and rejected Watson to keep the Orange in front, a lead they would never give up.

When asked after the game about how the adjustment has been for her this season, Latham gave a simple answer.

“I’m ready.”