Election Day 2023

Maurice ‘Mo’ Brown beats Moise ‘Mo’ Moodie for Onondaga County Legislature District 15

Jurnee Peltier | Contributing Photographer

Brown, who was endorsed by the Syracuse chapters of the Democratic Socialists of America and the Working Families Party, received nearly 92% of the vote. He will represent the newly drawn 15th district of Onondaga County.

Democrat nominee Maurice “Mo” Brown defeated independent candidate Moise “Mo” Moodie in the race to represent Onondaga County Legislature’s 15th District Tuesday night.

As of 11:23 p.m. Tuesday, Brown led the race with approximately 92% of the vote, while Moodie had 7.9%. Brown declared victory in a tweet shortly after 12:30 a.m.

Brown, who was endorsed by the Syracuse chapter of the Democratic Socialists of America and the Working Families Party, will now serve as county legislator for the newly-drawn 15th District. The district includes Syracuse University’s South Campus, the University Neighborhood, the South Side and Southwest neighborhoods and parts of downtown Syracuse.

Brown built his candidacy around the desire to address long-standing issues within the city of Syracuse, like the ongoing lead crisis, affordable housing and unreliable public transportation. He is publicly against the $85 million aquarium that the Onondaga County Legislature approved in June 2022 to be built at Syracuse’s Inner Harbor.

He ran as a progressive candidate and currently works as a student advisor at Onondaga Community College.

“Should I be lucky enough to get elected, I want to meet with a bunch of legislators … they have a lot of knowledge that they’re taking with them, and I’m gonna try and get as much of that as possible,” Brown said at a Tuesday night election party for the Onondaga County Democratic Committee.