football

Jason Simmons Jr. grew up in the Green Bay Packers’ locker room

Joe Zhao | Assistant Photo Editor

Jason Simmons Jr. has played in all seven games for the Orange in 2023.

Whenever Green Bay Packers cornerback Jaire Alexander catches up with his old position coach, Jason Simmons Sr., he asks how “Little J” is doing. Now 6 feet tall and 200 lbs, Jason Simmons Jr. is not so little anymore, manning the top of Syracuse’s secondary as the starting free safety.

Four years after retiring from the NFL, Simmons Sr. became the Packers’ secondary coach, moving his family from Houston, Texas, to Wisconsin. Then-head coach Mike McCarthy welcomed kids into the facility, giving Simmons Jr. an inside look of an NFL team from the first time he put on a helmet.

“He was able to sit in the back of meetings early on, and I think that was really good for him to see those guys as people and not superstars or NFL players,” Simmons Sr. said. “He just got a chance to be with the guys… and see their strengths and weaknesses.”

Alexander, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Damarious Randall and Tramon Williams all impacted Simmons Jr. His mother, Tiffany Simmons, said the Packers’ secondary was a close-knit group who embraced their family, coming out to support Simmons Jr. and his sister Jaddan Simmons at their sporting events.

“That is when I saw him really respecting certain players and modeling his game after certain players,” Tiffany said.

Simmons Sr., who is now the Raiders’ secondary coach, never pushed his only son to play. But, once he made the decision to pursue Division I football, he said it became his job to lay out the formula. That knowledge guided Simmons Jr. to New Mexico State, and then to Syracuse. Simmons Jr. declined to comment during media availability.

Because of the time commitment coaching entails, Simmons Sr. hasn’t always been there to see the results. But he’s been part of Simmons Jr.’s career every step of the way.

Miranda Fournier | Design Editor

“The amount of hours I would work, any time I was able to have him in meetings or just in the facility was just a precious time to be honest with you,” Simmons Sr. said. “I value that time because of the time commitment that coaching takes away from your family.”

After a 10-year NFL career playing safety for the Pittsburgh Steelers and Houston Texans, Simmons Sr. returned to the league in a new city. When the family first moved to Green Bay, Simmons Jr. didn’t tell anyone who his father was, wanting to “build his own journey his own way,” Simmons Sr. said.

“I don’t think a lot of people realize that kids that grow up in that NFL life, they really don’t want to have to live up to their father’s expectations or dreams,” Tiffany said.

Despite his connection with the Packers, Simmons Jr. wanted to be treated normally. He had constant access to the Packers’ gym, Tiffany said, but Simmons Jr. preferred to stick with his team.

He wanted to follow the process that his dad framed for him, Simmons Sr. said, which included building trust and chemistry between teammates.

“I really just wanted to instill in him, if you’re going to play the game, then just play hard,” Simmons Sr. said. “I wanted to not stunt his growth by coaching him from the stands. I initially started off as the dad that was too pushy and from that, I think I understood that this is his journey.”

When Simmons Jr. decided to pursue a football career, his dad jumped into action. He never coached him on game day but, while training, there were no days off.

“Big J never pushed Jason one way or the other until he made the decision that he wanted to play D-I football and then he was like, ‘this is what it’s going to take for you to get there,’ and that’s where we went from there,” Tiffany said.

In Green Bay, a much smaller football market than Texas, Simmons Jr. played running back and corner through middle school and the first two years of high school. By the end of his sophomore season, it became clear the competition and exposure weren’t attracting the D-I offers he wanted. So, the family decided to move Simmons Jr. back to Texas, where he enrolled in Lancaster High School for his junior season.

“It was the hardest decision I’ve made as an adult,” Simmons Sr. said. “It was hard for the family at that point, but we knew this was something he loved. I just had to step back as a parent and give my son an opportunity to reach his dreams.”

Simmons Jr. moved in with a family friend, Courtney Jackson, prior to his junior season, being separated geographically from his family for the first time. Then, he broke his foot on the first day of practice, ending his season, Tiffany said.

As a senior, Simmons Jr. was a ball hawk for the Lancaster defense at safety — his dad’s old position. After watching his Green Bay tape, head coach Chris Gilbert said Simmons Jr. dominated as a physical tackler who took precise angles. Those traits, fueled by an elite football IQ, made Gilbert think he’d be better off at safety rather than cornerback.

“To be around the game as much as he had, he just kind of understood what the offense was trying to do with route combinations and route patterns,” Gilbert said. “He knows how to put himself at the apex of those things… and he would always find the ball.”

Simmons Jr. started talking more about schemes than opposing players as his time in Lancaster went on, Gilbert said. He only worried about putting himself in the right place. He made 85 tackles and forced three fumbles to garner offers from multiple D-I schools.

Gilbert had conversations with Simmons Sr. about how to help his son succeed entering a new situation. He never interfered with the coaches, but shared anything he could to help as a dad.

Syracuse was the first team to offer Simmons Jr., according to 247 Sports, but he eventually landed at New Mexico State. When the Aggies’ 2020 season was canceled due to COVID-19, Syracuse got back in touch and Simmons Jr. transferred there in spring 2021.

In the second game of his third season with SU, Simmons Jr. achieved something his father never did as a player.

On the final play of the first half against Western Michigan, quarterback Jack Salopek airmailed his receiver over the middle. Simmons Jr. was set up perfectly between the hashes, hauling it in at the 16-yard line.

He streaked toward the sideline with blockers in front, tip-toed the boundary and then cut back at midfield. He crossed the goal line untouched for an 84-yard touchdown with zero seconds left to put the Orange up 45-7 at the half.

Simmons Sr. had eight interceptions between college and the pros – none were returned for touchdowns. Both he and Tiffany said it’s their favorite moment of their son’s football career, partially for what it represents. Simmons Jr. is now living out his individual dream, just like they always talked about.

“He beat me there,” Simmons Sr. said about the score. “To see that and having that emotion watching him play and getting that interception, I was so proud of him, just because I know the work that he’s put in and what he’s trying to do.”