Film Review: LeQuint Allen Jr.’s physicality carried SU’s offense against FSU

Jacob Halsema | Staff Photographer

LeQuint Allen Jr. showed that even when Syracuse didn't win the line of scrimmage, his speed and physicality could gain Syracuse yards.

Head coach Dino Babers said Syracuse’s offense hasn’t had success over the last three games because opposing defenses are full of future NFL talent. There’s no way to successfully gameplan for players like No. 4 Florida State’s Jared Verse or Shyheim Brown. But a week after the Orange tried and failed to implement a run-heavy offense against North Carolina, LeQuint Allen Jr. established himself as a viable running back on all facets of the game.

The Orange installed more jumbo formations and off-tackle runs that Babers hoped would help SU win the line of scrimmage and put together long drives. It ended with more time of possession than Florida State, but Syracuse was still handed its worst loss of the season. Allen Jr. showed his ability to seek contact and gain notable yards after contact, while taking the top off the defense in open space.

Here’s what led to Allen Jr. rushing for 110 yards in Syracuse’s (4-3, 0-3 Atlantic Coast Conference) 41-3 loss to No. 4 Florida State (6-0, 4-0 ACC):

More bodies means more yards

The throwback jumbo formation that Syracuse first flaunted against Western Michigan has helped it convert third downs and continue drives. With just under 8:00 left in the first quarter, Syracuse found itself in a third-and-1 situation down 7-0.

The Orange essentially told the Seminoles they were running the ball. Max Mang was positioned on the right side as an extra blocker and Dan Villari was in a three-point stance next to Allen Jr. in the backfield. Five Florida State linemen were matched up with seven SU blockers, with Villari acting as the eighth. Four defensive backs stood over top, three of which shot the gap toward the right tackle when Garrett Shrader handed the ball off. Kalen DeLoach slapped Verse on the left hip, telling him to cut to his left.

But for the first time Saturday, Syracuse pushed back against a top defensive line in the country. Allen Jr. was set up one-on-one with a linebacker, who he shoved off, allowing him to easily take off for the first down and more yards in space for a gain of eight.

A hammer finding a nail

This third-and-5 play early in the second quarter showed Syracuse still has some sign of an offensive identity, despite scoring just 24 points in the last three weeks. Offensive coordinator Jason Beck has utilized pre-snap motions to confuse opposing secondaries and open up a receiver for a short yardage pass. Umari Hatcher sprinted up from the outside, and upon the snap, executed a mesh route that drew the Mike linebacker to the other side of the field with him.

Damien Alford took off on a go-route that drew the cornerback covering the left side of the field onto him. Executed perfectly, no one was on Allen Jr., who leaked out from the backfield. Allen Jr. caught the ball behind the line of scrimmage and had a safety bearing down on him just a yard after the catch. He easily stiff-armed him away and bullied his way through two defenders trying to wrap him up.

Allen Jr. looked up and saw another safety crouched at the 44-yard line. He lowered his right shoulder into Brown and barreled over him to gain three extra yards. What could have been a 1-yard gain, stalling out the Orange at midfield, became an 18-yard gain that silenced Florida State and led to SU’s only points Saturday.

Allen Jr. shows physicality even on bad plays

The fact that Allen Jr. didn’t get the first down on this third-and-8 really wasn’t his fault. At this point, Babers said Shrader was drenched in sweat as he reeled from food poisoning the night before. Calling a run that deep in SU’s end zone didn’t make much sense, but the blocking on the right side was so subpar that no play call was going to work. Jakob Bradford was tossed around after he pulled from the left side, and Villari didn’t hit anyone when he shot the gap that Allen Jr. was supposed to go through.

There was a hole created by J’Onre Reed and a good second level block from Mark Petry, but neither of them held their block long enough for Allen Jr. to get upfield. Villari was supposed to chip the defensive lineman that Bradford pulled to hit, but simply grazed his right shoulder and moved on too quickly to look for another man to block that wasn’t there. Despite the blown play, Allen Jr. lowered his head and met two linemen two yards past the line of scrimmage with a full steam of momentum.

He, along with Bradford taking down Byron Turner Jr., rushed through for a four-yard gain. As Allen Jr. hit the ground, three of the Orange’s offensive linemen were out of position, while Villari — guarding no one — looked back at the play behind him. If this was a short-yardage call, Allen Jr.’s physicality would have gotten the first down.

The cutback king

Sean Tucker often created positive yards out of blown plays, and turned small gains into chunk plays that flipped the field for the Orange. Allen Jr. isn’t Tucker — that’s been made very clear by Babers this season — but does utilize Tucker’s cutback ability. This play midway through the third quarter, Allen Jr.’s longest run of the day, is a prime example of his shiftiness and ability to adjust.

The handoff was likely intended to go off the right tackle. But, right guard Chris Bleich didn’t handle his man at all and couldn’t pick up the block from the second level. Allen Jr. saw this and decided to cut back to the left and sneak through a tunnel that Villari created. The tight end chipped the defensive end, helping Enrique Cruz Jr. set up a clear path for the first down and more for Allen Jr.

For the next 15 yards, Allen Jr. showcased his speed, getting to midfield in just three seconds before shoving off a defender at the 50-yard line. He then cut back to his left and made a man miss, giving him another 10 yards. Kevin Knowles II finally got Allen Jr. down, but not before the running back lowered his shoulder and buried Knowles into the ground to cap off his electric run.