Film Review: How Cade Klubnik, receivers tore up Syracuse’s secondary

Jacob Halsema | Staff Photographer

Clemson quarterback Cade Klubnik picked apart Syracuse's secondary, handing the Orange their first loss of the season.

Cade Klubnik entered Saturday’s game against Syracuse as one of the most efficient passers in the country. His 66% completion rate kept the Tigers within a touchdown of then-No. 4 Florida State and allowed them to beat Duke in nearly all statistical categories except for the final score. Entering the JMA Wireless Dome, Syracuse knew it would have a tough task taking down a pure pocket passer — something the Orange were facing for the first time.

Klubnik finished the win with two touchdowns and no interceptions for the third straight start, completing 23 of his 37 passes while throwing for 263 yards. By the fourth quarter, Klubnik barely needed to throw. His elusiveness in the pocket and ability to extend plays allowed Clemson to hand the Orange their first loss of the season.

Here’s what SU’s secondary did wrong to lead to the successful day for Klubnik:

Syracuse corners falter as Klubnik scrambles

Syracuse sold out on this 3rd-and-7 play, doing what it’s done best all year and dialing up a blitz, bringing Marlowe Wax off the edge for a delayed rush. It nearly worked, as Wax is essentially lined up in zone coverage on the outside and Clemson’s right tackle doesn’t even see him. But Klubnik spun off of Wax and broke free. Without any other help on the right side from the Orange — all of their linebackers dropped back — Klubnik had time to survey and scramble.

Tigers receiver Troy Stellato ran a pretty simple post route. But with the breakdown and Jeremiah Wilson acting as the free safety on the left side, Stellato moved through the defense untouched.

Meanwhile, Beaux Collins ran a 10-yard hitch route up the right side and already juked Jason Simmons Jr. out of position. When Collins saw Klubnik in trouble, he spun upfield and burned Simmons Jr., leading to two open receivers.

Klubnik did the rest, throwing a dart on the run before Caleb Okechukwu could get to him, hitting the wide open Stellato for the touchdown. It looked as if it was intended for Collins, who would’ve had an easy catch too.

Everyone’s open

This is a standard pass out of the pro set formation with two running backs on either side of Klubnik and three receivers outside. The Orange eventually sacked Klubnik later in the drive as Clemson stalled out at midfield, but this chunk play signaled a long day ahead for Syracuse’s defense. Again, defensive coordinator Rocky Long rushed five players in an attempt to disrupt the Clemson quarterback, but the Tigers’ offensive line held strong.

Klubnik was eyeing the right side and wanted to get the ball further downfield. But Tyler Brown opened up early and across the middle in front of Klubnik, so he opted for the 11-yard gain. The Orange’s secondary was back on the play, and Simmons Jr. was easily beat on a quick move by the true freshman receiver.

Klubnik, however, could have gone to any of his three receivers, who were all open. Adam Randall simply blew past Isaiah Johnson, who was the only corner playing close to the line, while Collins got Syracuse’s high safety to bite in on him.

How’d he get that open?!

This 47-yard touchdown pass by Klubnik helped swing the game firmly into Clemson’s hands. The play action call allowed Okechukwu and one other Syracuse defensive lineman to bully their way through Clemson’s offensive line. And though Klubnik had already gained good yardage with his feet, the sophomore remained calm, stepping up in the pocket.

Once he did, he found Collins, who had nobody within 10 yards of him. Syracuse had dropped back its two linebackers and a high safety to help out Wilson on the right side. But none of them came close to touching Collins, who made a quick stutter-step move and blew past Wilson, who bit on the fake.

Brown, who was lined up as the inside receiver on the right side, also blew past his man with a soft post route across the middle, once again giving Klubnik multiple open options to hit.

It doesn’t need to work to show who’s better

By this time in the game, Syracuse needed a stop just to be able to climb out of the hole it was in. Midway through the third quarter, it had forced a 3rd-and-7. A stop-and-score could have made it a 10-point game with time remaining in the third. While Brown couldn’t corral this catch in, he was wide open — again — over the middle. In fact, all but one Clemson receiver had enough space for Klubnik to easily connect.

Syracuse only rushed three, had a quarterback spy and sat four linebackers at the first down marker. But even with Alijah Clark 10 yards off the line of scrimmage on Brown, the receiver was wide open over the middle. Klubnik also had plenty of time to survey the field.

Klubnik had time and options, and if it wasn’t for a drop by his receiver, would have connected on a chunk pass play that would have set the Tigers up in Syracuse territory.