Dino Babers offers injury updates, praises Drake Maye ahead of No. 14 UNC

Maxine Brackbill | Photo Editor

Babers spoke highly of UNC quarterback Drake Maye, who's projected to be a top 3 pick in the 2024 NFL Draft, per ESPN's Mel Kiper.

After Syracuse’s first loss of the season — a mistake-filled 31-14 home loss to Clemson — Dino Babers spent his weekly press conference telling various stories. Babers hasn’t usually opened up during pressers, but in both stories, he talked about Syracuse linebackers.

Babers spoke about former SU linebacker Zaire Franklin, who now plays for the Indianapolis Colts and leads his team in tackles. Babers said that before he had even met Franklin, a fan had come up to him and said the linebacker would be a captain. About two or three weeks later, Franklin was captain. Babers also talked about current Syracuse linebacker Leon Lowery during the presser. After Syracuse’s loss on Saturday, Lowery’s mother saw Babers. He said to her that “he’s doing really good.”

When Babers wasn’t telling tales about his linebackers, he got asked questions about SU’s loss to the Tigers and its next opponent, No. 14 North Carolina. Syracuse now embarks on a stretch of the schedule where it will only have one home game (Nov. 3 versus Boston College) until Thanksgiving.

“We’re going to have to adjust and improvise,” Babers said. “We’re 4-1 and we’re almost halfway done with the season. We’re not perfect, but we almost won.”

Here are some more takeaways from Babers’ presser ahead of Syracuse’s (4-1, 0-1 Atlantic Coast Conference) matchup with North Carolina (4-0, 1-0 Atlantic Coast Conference):

Plenty of injury questions

There was plenty of concern for SU quarterback Garrett Shrader. The third-year starter took a big hit from Clemson’s Justin Mascoll, leading to a fumble and an eventual Tigers touchdown.

Shrader finished the game with two touchdowns and an interception. But, he barely completed half of his passes and did not utilize his legs like in past games. After the game, Shrader said he was fine. On Sunday in the program’s football auditorium, Babers pointed out where Shrader was sitting and he said the quarterback looked “great.”

In regards to the reversed targeting call, Babers was initially confused as to why the call was reversed. But after watching a TV copy of the game, he changed his tune.

“And based off of what I saw, I didn’t feel like they would reverse the call, even privately. So I had better things to do,” Babers said.

One reporter asked about Isaiah Jones, Trebor Pena and tight end Dan Villari, who are all facing injury concerns. Babers was a little caught off guard by the list of receivers who have sustained injuries. In regards to Pena and Jones, Babers said it was “day-to-day, week-to-week stuff.” With Villari, Babers said he was “OK.”

On the defensive side, rover safety Justin Barron did not finish the Clemson game and was seen after Babers’ presser with a bandage wrapped around his whole left hand and wrist. Babers did not offer any update on the safety, but believes he will be “OK.”

“This guy is different”

With UNC quarterback Drake Maye being projected as a top 3 pick per ESPN’s Mel Kiper, Babers didn’t sugarcoat the fact that Maye will be the best passer the Orange defense will face. He noted how accurate he is — Maye has the highest adjusted completion percentage in the ACC per Pro Football Focus.

The last time Syracuse played North Carolina in 2020, it faced off against another highly touted quarterback prospect in Sam Howell, who is now the starting quarterback of the Washington Commanders. Howell threw for 295 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions. But Babers didn’t get into specifics on how Howell and Maye are different, instead sharing a sentiment every draft scout and evaluator has.

“This guy is different. He’s going to be an NFL guy,” Babers said of UNC’s quarterback.

New players getting more time

Babers slightly revealed his hand by saying D’Marcus Adams would get more time as a receiver. Adams has been the Orange’s primary returner ahead of the injured Pena. But with the injuries in the wide receiver room, Babers said Adams will get more playing time.

But the most notable inclusion of new players in the lineup came from the defensive back room. Notre Dame transfer Jayden Bellamy and Nebraska transfer Jaeden Gould both got some time against the Tigers, with Bellamy getting a fumble recovery and a pass breakup. Babers said the amount of time they get comes down to who’s around and who isn’t. With multiple blowouts against the first four nonconference opponents, Babers noted that many players got time. A fact that seemed very unusual to the head coach.

“So we did get to see some flashes,” Babers said of the two defensive backs. “And they got into the games. And for the most part, they both did OK.”

Fellow Nebraska transfer Myles Farmer has moved into the backup rover position. Farmer transferred to SU after he was suspended indefinitely by new Cornhuskers head coach Matt Rhule. The head coach didn’t disclose the reason other than to say it had to do with a failure to adhere to team standards. But after Farmer’s move to the Orange, Babers has noted improvement all the way up until the Army game.

“He had some catching up to do,” Babers said of Farmer. “He’s been working really hard and working on the special teams. He’s been doing the right things, coming to meetings and learning. And now he’s getting some opportunities.”