Dino Babers rules out tackle David Wohlabaugh Jr. for season

Sadie Jones | Contributing Photographer

Wohlabaugh Jr., whose father played for Syracuse from 1992-94, exited Saturday's win over Western Michigan with a lower body injury

Syracuse lineman David Wohlabaugh Jr. has been ruled out for the rest of the season, head coach Dino Babers said on his weekly radio show Thursday night. Wohlabaugh, who’s father, Dave, also played for the Orange from 1992-94 and started for the New England Patriots on their Super Bowl XXXI winning team, exited SU’s win against Western Michigan with a lower body injury on Saturday.

Wohlabaugh transferred to Syracuse after two seasons with Kentucky where he appeared in 10 games. He won the starting right tackle job with SU out of training camp and was looking to solidify an offensive line that had four new starters this season.

Wohlabaugh said that his decision to transfer to Syracuse in May was sparked by his parents’ attendance at the university 30 years ago, along with the coaching staff’s promise to give him an opportunity to start. Though SU’s offensive line returned seven total players from its depth chart this season, they dealt with injuries for most of last year and struggled to stop opposing rushing attacks.

This season, Syracuse has already seen offensive lineman Joe More miss games and top receiving threat Oronde Gadsden II exit last week’s game. Gadsden, whose status was not confirmed by Babers in the radio appearance, was seen on the sidelines in crutches and with a boot on his right foot.