Rowing

No. 8 Syracuse finishes behind No. 3 Yale in all races at Saratoga Springs

Meghan Hendricks | Photo Editor

Syracuse competed against No. 3 Yale and Cornell on Saturday.

No. 8 Syracuse traveled two hours east to Fish Lake in Saratoga Springs, New York to compete against No. 3 Yale and Cornell. In all five races at the regatta, the Orange finished second, defeating Cornell but losing to Yale. Syracuse had entered with first-place victories at the Ivy-Big Ten Double Dual and Doc Hosea Invitational.

The regatta began with the third varsity eight as Yale finished with a time of 6:42. Syracuse finished 28 seconds behind at 7:10, and Cornell came in at 7:15. 

Syracuse’s second varsity eight went with the same crew, though swapping Louise Rath for Caleigh Grimes as coxswain. Yale finished at 6:30 while Syracuse finished at 6:45. 

In the varsity 8, the programs competed for the Cayuga Cup. The trophy has been given to the winner of the varsity 8 of Yale, Syracuse and Cornell since 2003. Syracuse has never won the coveted cup. 

The Orange fell short, trailing just five seconds away. Yale crossed the line at 6:25, followed by Syracuse at 6:30 and Cornell at 7:06. Following the varsity eights, the regatta concluded with the varsity fours. The varsity four came in second place at 7:24 while Yale finished in first once again at 7:09. Cornell finished just under eight minutes. The final race of the day was a combination of the second and third varsity fours as Yale and Syracuse both entered two boats while Cornell entered one. 

Yale’s A boat came in first followed by Syracuse’s A boat. Then, Yale’s B boat came in third followed by Syracuse’s B boat.  Cornell finished in last place. 

Syracuse will next race on April 22 in Raleigh, North Carolina at the Lake Wheeler Invitational.