Women's lacrosse

Opponent preview: What to know about No. 19 Clemson

Joe Zhao | Staff Photographer

Playing in their inaugural season, the Tigers rank first in the country in shot percentage and opened their season up with a 23-1 trouncing of Wofford.

Syracuse maintained its No. 1 ranking for a program-best third straight week with wins over Cornell and then-No. 11 Virginia.

In its midweek matchup with Cornell, SU cruised to a 7-2 start, allowing just six goals through three quarters. Led by Meaghan Tyrrell’s seven points, the Orange weathered a late Cornell comeback attempt to sneak away with a 19-13 victory in their final nonconference game of the regular season.

Against the Cavaliers, Syracuse struggled in an early back-and-forth contest before an Emma Ward score put the Orange up 5-4 going into the second period. From there, SU outscored Virginia 13-3 in the ensuing two quarters, ultimately winning by a comfortable 21-9 margin. Ward’s four goals and six assists earned her a new career-high of 10 points and Meaghan added nine of her own.

On Saturday, Syracuse will face No. 19 ranked Clemson at Cicero-North Syracuse High School while Monster Jam takes place in the JMA Wireless Dome. The Tigers are coming off a 19-8 win over Louisville where they held the Cardinals scoreless in the third period.

Here’s everything to know about No. 19 Clemson (10-4, 2-4 Atlantic Coast):

All-Time Series

This will be the first-ever meeting between the two schools.

The Tigers Report

In the summer of 2021, Clemson Athletics announced the addition of women’s lacrosse as a varsity program. On Feb. 11, 2023, the Tigers played in their inaugural match, trouncing Wofford 23-1.

Led by head coach Allison Kwolek, Clemson is made up of eight freshmen and 20 transfers. Receiving notable signees from powerhouses Maryland, North Carolina and even Syracuse (Jalyn Jimerson), the Tigers dominated their early nonconference opponents but have struggled in the ACC.

After opening its season with six consecutive wins, Clemson suffered back-to-back losses to Notre Dame and Virginia, mustering single digit scores for the first time. Yet, the Tigers are still one of the best offensive programs in the country. Led by attacks Gianna New, Hanna Hilcoff and Sofia Chepenik, the trio has combined for 111 goals through 14 games. Chepenik holds a team-high 18 assists this season.

A week ago, Clemson fell to North Carolina, 17-8. The Tar Heels took advantage of a shaky Tiger defense, jumping out to an early 5-0 lead. In conference play, Boston College and Duke both finished with 10 goals while the Cavaliers notched 16 against Clemson.

How Syracuse beats Clemson

The Orange’s highly efficient and versatile offense continued to fire on all cylinders against Virginia, scoring 20-plus goals in a ranked matchup for the second time this year. Syracuse continued to click at X and around the 8-meter as Meaghan’s season total of 75 points and Ward’s 45 assists are both NCAA Division-I highs.

Delaney Sweitzer, who was added to the 2023 Tewaaraton Award watch list last week, made five saves and picked up six ground balls against Cavaliers, letting in just three second half goals. But Syracuse’s back line took a hit after Bianca Chevarie went down against Stony Brook with a lower-leg injury. She hasn’t returned to action since and midfielder Mackenzie Olsen has started in her absence.

Syracuse’s 220 goals over 14 games will prove too much for the Tigers’ defense. Meaghan and Ward have largely turned to facilitating this season, and have an endless array of scoring talent. Megan Carney, who has remained scoreless in two of the Orange’s last three games, has produced a team-high 44 goals. If Syracuse continues to play the way it has in front of cage, its all-around talent should easily overwhelm Clemson.

Stat to know: 52.4

Clemson ranks first in the country in shooting percentage, converting 52.4% of its shots, per LacrosseReference. Led by Hilcoff’s team-best 80 total shots, the Tigers’ second leading scorer finds the target 50% of the time, producing 40 goals. Syracuse’s midfield and defense need to make sure it keeps Clemson circling the 12-meter and away from X.

Player to watch: Gianna New, attack, No. 2

Clemson’s top scorer also leads the team in points with 52 this season. Transferring in from Davidson, where she received an Atlantic 10 All-Conference Second Team nod and scored 100 points, only Chepenik has more assists than New for the Tigers.

New had a season-high six goals against Gardner Webb and registered a hat trick of assists against Radford. She’s on track for a career-best scoring year and stands just eight goals shy of tying her personal best 49 in far fewer shot attempts.