Students express frustration after SU reports anti-LGBTQ graffiti in Watson Hall

Dominic Chiappone | Asst. News Editor

Over 30 Syracuse University students and staff from the university’s Bias Response Team, the Office of Student Living and residential staff met at the Life Sciences Complex Wednesday night to discuss two bias incident reports. Derogatory language directed toward the LGBTQ community was allegedly found on a bathroom door and mirror at Watson Hall on Feb. 23, according to an email from SU sent to Watson Hall’s residents.

Editor’s note: this article contains mentions of anti-LGBTQ language

Derogatory language directed toward the LGBTQ community found on a bathroom door and mirror at Watson Hall was reported to the Syracuse University Department of Public Safety on Feb. 24, according to an email sent by the Office of Student Living to Watson Hall’s residents. The email set up a Wednesday night gathering for SU students and officials to address the incident.

Over 30 students as well as SU residential, Bias Response Team and OSL staff met at the Life Sciences Complex at 8:30 p.m. Wednesday to discuss the bias incident report which identified markings on Watson Hall’s third and fourth floors. Quincy Bufkin — OSL’s assistant director for diversity, equity and inclusion — notified Watson residents on Tuesday afternoon via the email.

The standard for publicly reporting hate speech and other bias-related incidents is to post the incident to DPS’s Bias Incident Reports website within 48 hours unless the report jeopardizes active investigations, according to the website.

An anonymous source told The Daily Orange that derogatory words were allegedly spray painted in white on the Watson door and mirror on the night of Feb. 23. The source said both words were allegedly written with reference to the name of a student, though Bufkin said the office couldn’t guarantee the language targeted a specific student.

There is no suspect as of Wednesday night, Bufkin said. DPS is actively investigating the incident.

DPS refrained from publicly posting updates about the investigation to avoid jeopardizing its active investigation, according to a Thursday afternoon email sent by SU Chief Student Experience Officer Allen Groves, SU Dean of Students Sheriah Dixon and Chief of Campus Safety and Emergency Management Services Craig Stone. DPS is “aggressively” following a lead that has resulted in a person of interest being interviewed, according to the Thursday email.

“This type of behavior is unacceptable and will not be tolerated in our residence halls or anywhere else on campus,” Bufkin’s Tuesday email to Watson residents read.

Bufkin said SU Facilities Services initially contacted him about the graffiti. DPS conducted two rounds of investigations, said Kofi Addai, SU’s associate director for Stop Bias Education.

Bufkin acknowledged that DPS and Facilities Services didn’t record the incidents soon enough, saying the two need to improve to ensure effective incident reporting and work toward prevention of future incidents.

Students who attended the Wednesday meeting expressed anger over the lack of transparency among SU officials, as well as the lack of accountability for students who commit bias-related incidents.

Jordan Beasley, the vice president of diversity, equity and inclusion for SU’s Student Association, said he was tired of the university holding bias meetings repeatedly if students accused of hate speech and using derogatory terms aren’t going to be held accountable.

“This university has a history and a pattern of embodying homophobia… SU likes to promote diversity, equity and inclusion, but then when it comes down to it, we do things such as workshops,” Beasley said.

While the investigation is underway, Bufkin said officials plan to listen to the people who were impacted by the two reported bias incidents.

“I think the important part is that we support the people who this impacts, as well as continue with the investigation and make sure that this does not happen again,” Bufkin said.

Correction: A previous version of this article stated that the Tuesday email sent to Watson residents identified that the graffitti was discovered on Feb. 23. The graffitti was discovered and reported on the morning of Feb. 24. The Daily Orange regrets this error.