Syracuse OC Robert Anae reportedly leaving for NC State, Jason Beck promoted

Malcolm Taylor | Staff Photographer

Robert Anae is reportedly heading to NC State after serving one season as offensive coordinator.

Syracuse offensive coordinator Robert Anae is reportedly leaving for the same job at NC State after one season, according to ESPN’s Pete Thamel. Quarterbacks coach Jason Beck will reportedly replace Anae as offensive coordinator, per On3Sports

The moves follow the report that defensive coordinator Tony White is leaving for the same job at Nebraska, and safeties coach Nick Monroe will take over as coordinator for Syracuse’s bowl game against Minnesota. 

Anae and Beck both arrived at SU after six-year stints at Virginia, where Anae was the offensive coordinator and inside wide receivers coach, and Beck coached quarterbacks. They also spent three seasons at Virginia together before that in the same roles. Anae also previously coached at Arizona, UNLV and Texas Tech, starting his coaching career in 1992 at Idaho junior college Ricks College.

He brought the Air Raid offense to Syracuse this season, helping the Orange’s passing attack increase their yards per game by 70. SU’s offense also averaged over four points per game more this season. 

Beck has had previous coaching stops at Simon Fraser (2012) and Weber State (2009-11), and is over 20 years younger than Anae, 63. He helped Garrett Shrader become a skilled passer this season, with the quarterback throwing for over 800 more yards than he did in 2021 despite missing six quarters against Notre Dame and Pitt. Keeping Beck on as offensive coordinator would likely keep SU’s offensive scheme the same next season. 

Anae replaces Tim Beck at NC State. The Orange took down the Wolfpack 24-9 in October, helping them improve to 6-0. NC State, which was without injured starting quarterback Devin Leary for the second half of the season, finished the regular season 8-4, ranking ninth in the Atlantic Coast Conference in scoring and 11th in yards per game.