Ducks

Duck: Maggie Hicks

Asst. News Editor | Spring 2020 - Spring 2021 ; Managing Editor | Fall 2022

Nabeeha Anwar | Illustration Editor

This post has been updated with additional sappy messages. 

Surprise! I came back. It’s actually not a surprise at all because it literally says at the bottom of this duck “peace out (for now).” I think I always knew that I’d be back eventually. A year away from this place just felt weird and wrong. So here I am, updating my duck. 

Incoming staff: See below, my advice hasn’t changed. 

News staff: It’s been cool to watch your writing grow. Keep investigating, learning and pushing yourselves.

Jana: No one is more fit to run this section than you. Being NE is one of the hardest jobs at The DO, but it’s also so rewarding and important. When you get stressed, remember that the work you’re doing has a broader impact than you can imagine. 

Kyle: You’re so dedicated, yet so empathetic, a rare combination in this industry. I’m excited for you to get some sleep, but also to see everything you do. Keep pushing. 

Op staff: The opinion section is on a better trajectory than it has been in years. Keep up the momentum and values you built this semester. And remember that having the loudest voice in the paper comes with a lot of responsibility. Use it well. 

Rainu: Your section’s growth is in large thanks to you. The way you entered both the university and city community with genuine, on the ground reporting is remarkable. You’re young and will go so far at SU, but know that you always have a home at The DO.

Culture staff: I have a new place in my heart for culture after this semester. You all are doing such important, fun work. Keep imagining and creating. 

Anthony: You’re more than ready for this. You’ve grown so much this semester, and your ideas are fantastic. Keep pushing culture to be the best it can be, and then some.  

Visuals staff: Kudos to you all for dealing with me and my lack of any artistic ability. You’ve taught me so much, and I’m so grateful for your work. Keep making this place beautiful. 

Meghan: You’re never afraid to fight for what you believe in, no matter how big or small it is. Keep up the passion and camp counselor energy. This place needs it. 

Remi: You entered this chaos and hit the ground running, absolutely saving our asses. Your art is beautiful and your kindness is infectious. Thank you so much for everything. 

Megan: Your energy is so calming, especially when it feels like the house is burning down. You’re also so talented, and your skills are so important for this industry. Get some rest, and have a blast across the pond.

Morgan: You care so much about what you do, and you’re so talented. Even on the nights when we were chopping stories or having photo issues 20 minutes before deadline, you managed to make the paper beautiful. Thank you for your work, patience and for being a light in this house. 

Sports staff: I loved getting to know you all this semester. You were the perfect comedic relief on the especially chaotic nights. Keep working hard, I know you all will make it so far. 

Tyler: You sending your payroll information to the wrong Chris might have been the funniest moment of the semester. It was also the perfect way for our friendship to start. Your positivity is exactly what this house needs. Never change it. 

Cole: You’ve got some big shoes to fill, but I believe in you and your drive. Let me know if you ever need someone to whip a sports boy into shape. I’m more than happy. 

Mark N: I didn’t realize how much you do for this paper until I joined management. Thank you for your help this semester, we wouldn’t have been able to do it without you.

Katie and Beth: If it weren’t for you and your support, I would’ve lost my mind months ago. Thanks for pushing me and talking me down when things felt like they were spinning out of control. It makes this job so much easier knowing we have alums like you in our corner. 

Casey: I know you already have a mention below, but that was before you helped me navigate this chaos. Thank you for listening to me, offering advice and screaming with me when I need it. I absolutely couldn’t have gotten through this semester without you, and I’m so glad we’ve gotten closer because of it. I can’t wait for February, it’s going to be a blast. 

Siron: No matter how much Richard and I were freaking out in the moment, you helped us pause and put everything into perspective. You also are (almost) always willing to take my side when Richard says something stupid. Even if you have no idea what we’re talking about. I feel so lucky I got to know you this semester. You’re such a kind soul and truly care about the people around you. But please get a pair of spare glasses. 

Hank: Your kindness helped me adjust to being in this house again. I knew I could always come to you for a high five or a laugh, which is usually all I needed. I can’t wait to see you thrive as DME, you’re already such a good leader and care so much. Text me if Richard forgets pup food again next semester, I’ll be there with apple sauce ASAP. 

Rachel: I know this transition is scary and overwhelming. It might feel rushed and you might go through the first month thinking you were the absolutely wrong person for the job. I’m here to tell you that I’ve been there before, and it absolutely isn’t true. You are ready and going to do so much for this paper. You have this way of caring for others that I don’t think I’ll ever fully understand. That’s so important on a management team, and I know you’ll take care of this staff better than I ever could. Plus, I’ll be here every step of the way.

Anish: I’m so proud of you. Waiting for a position that you know you’re ready for is so hard. And you took it further than I could – you actually got that position. Selfishly, I’m glad you did. You were one of the only familiar faces I had when I came back, and that meant more than I ever realized. Having someone down the hall who Richard and I could rely on made this task so much less daunting, and I’m glad that person was you. Enjoy your break, you deserve it. I promise I’ll consider making a cage appearance before I graduate. 

Ofentse: I’ve always felt like I was living a double life in college – there was DO Maggie and non-DO Maggie. I don’t think I realized how isolating that was until you joined, and I had someone who knew me as both. Little junior us wouldn’t believe where we are now, but I’m so glad we got close through all of this. Seeing you in the house made my nights so much better, and while I’ll miss that next semester, I promise I’ll visit way too much. You were the best mgmt advisor we could’ve asked for. 

Richard: When I decided to do this, I didn’t realize coming back into this house would be so scary. A year before, it was my home, and while it was familiar and felt good to be back, I was a stranger here. The walls had the same names, but there were new ones that I didn’t recognize. Every room was full of unfamiliar faces where my best friends used to sit. But then we started talking, and we haven’t really stopped. You helped make this place feel like home again – a different one, but in a really good way. While this job is hard and confusing and frustrating, I looked forward to walking through the door everyday because it meant I got to spend hours laughing, talking and being stupid with you. You already know how much I’ll miss that, but I promise I won’t go anywhere. Not for a few months at least. 

Miles: I don’t think I can ever convey how much I appreciate you. Having you to come home and call at the end of the night was the only thing that got me through the especially bad days. Even though my job probably made no sense to you, you were so patient and listened to me no matter what. All I can say is thank you. 

Monica: We say this all the time, but I’m so happy Steve and Susan convinced us to go to that drylands practice. It’s so funny how such a random and insignificant decision can bring you someone who you can’t fathom doing life without. I know how hard it was for you to see me completely drain myself over this paper, and my decision to come back probably didn’t make the most sense. But you’ve always supported and loved me no matter what. I can’t wait to spend our last semester together. You’ll always be my life partner.   

Pondi: I can’t imagine how hard this semester was for you. And I’m sorry I couldn’t be there more. We’ve been through a lot, but I came out of it with one of my best friends by my side. Thank you for the snacks, the advice, the adventures, the crying sessions and the love, no matter how many times I’ve exposed you to COVID, left icky dishes in the sink, stolen your food, etc. I can’t wait to spend another semester down the hall from you. 

Mom and dad: The last time I wrote one of these, I mentioned that you were the only reason I had any of these people in my life. Even at the time, I still don’t think I realized how much you’ve done for me, or how unique it is to have two people who care so much about my dreams. I can’t tell you enough how grateful I am for you, and I hope you’re proud of what I’ve done with all the support you’ve given me. I love you more. 

An ancient duck from 2021:

This word count is shorter than every story I’ve ever filed. Whatever. This will still be a Maggie Hicks special.

Future staffers: As Ferris Bueller said, “(Your time at The D.O.) moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop to look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

Emily and Mandy: I’m psyched to see where you take this paper next year and I can’t wait to work with you on recruitment things! But let’s think of a new name for the position please. 

Richard P: You held your own this semester better than I ever could’ve as a freshman. I’m excited to see where you go, and I know you have some stellar bylines ahead of you. 

Anish: Thanks for carrying our football team. KJ and Mira won’t know what hit them when we rematch. 

Anthony: I’m really glad you ran into Mira at XO Taco and that you didn’t die on your way to my apartment. You’re always welcome to write your coverages at my house.

Allie: I’m glad we got to know each other in a context other than ski week. I can’t wait to read more of your butter beazers. 

Skyler: You’re definitely the most adorable sports editor ever. Good luck next year, thanks for breaking the streak of icky SE boys. 

Louis: I’m still jealous of the Sesame Street sweatshirt. Good luck as culture editor, I can’t wait to see where you take the section. 

Adam: I’m sorry you had to listen to my voice so often this semester. Your poor ears. I’ll miss our Friday morning convos about whatever is on Marnie’s mind. 

Moriah: I always look forward to that Thursday afternoon slack. I’m not sure why you let me ramble five weeks in a row, but thank you for believing in me and the stories I was telling. 

Lizzie: I’ll never forget doing a pod interview from my dad’s office. You were one of the first D.O. people I talked to during quarantine and it gave me a sense of normalcy that I didn’t know I needed. Thanks for being so supportive, let’s do another Quad coffee date soon.  

Billman: Redhead buddy! You’re such a sweetie and made me feel so welcomed as a little freshman in this house. Let’s hang soon!

Cori: I’m so happy we got closer this semester, even if it took us months to realize we lived two doors apart. I’m so excited to see what sort of chaos we stir up in the next few years. 

Sydney: My Cosmo queen! I think our DMs say it all. I’m so happy mag finally brought us together. Thanks for listening to all my rants. I can’t wait for the next two years and all the exciting stuff after that. 

Abby: You’re such a light in this place and so talented. I’m bummed I won’t get to run downstairs to see your beautiful face anymore, but I am beyond excited to see what you do as DME. You’re going to be fantastic. 

Maya: My angel. You’re incredible. Thank you for making print nights a little less exhausting, the car rides (RIP), the Boba Sundays and everything in between. I’m going to miss our late nights next semester, but we’ll definitely hang. I wouldn’t make it if we didn’t. 

Roshan: I’m glad you wandered into news so many times, even if it meant that I did even less work than usual. You’re insanely talented, even if you don’t believe anyone who tells you that. I can’t wait for you to become a DMV boy this summer. 

Crane: You’re one of the nicest people I’ve ever met. Thanks for the rides back to South, dealing with my chaotic slack messages and just being a great person to have around. I’m going to miss being your backyard neighbor, but I hope you have a stellar time in NYC! 

KJ: And you’re one of the most chaotic people I’ve ever met. But I love you for that. Thanks for the porch talks, advice and for making everyone who walks in this door feel instantly welcome. You better hang out with me this summer if you’re in D.C. I’ll buy you a coffee to make up for WaPo. 

Haley and Catherine: My first semester in house started and ended in the most unorthodox way possible. But you always made me feel at home, even when the staff was spread across the country. You’re both so kind and warm and I know that’ll take you far in whatever you do. 

Gabe: When I started here, I had no clue what I was doing. But you helped me learn and grow in more ways than I can count. Thank you for dealing with all my long texts and for being a constant source of support. I can’t wait to read all your bylines. 

Casey: I’m sorry about the Cuomo situation. And all the other situations. I think a lot about that day when you sat me down on that disgusting couch in 744 and told me about beat positions. I haven’t stopped learning from you since. Good luck with everything, and take care of Heep for me. 

Emma: My most vivid D.O. memory is when you hired me. Ironically, I was in a class in Crouse-Hinds. That phone call led to more love, learning and growth than I ever thought possible. All because you took a chance on me. You’re such a strong, talented person and I wish you the best wherever you go. Kick some butt. 

Mira: I love your gemini, Whitman, PR, sorority girl booty so much. I can’t believe how lucky I am to have THE Mira Berenbaum in my life. I’m so excited for the rest of our wild times and for you to do my taxes one day. 

Sessa: You were one of the few people who got me coming to the house every night. I know you will always make me laugh or think in a way that I never have before. That takes a true renaissance man. Take it easy my dude, thanks for everything. 

Marnie: I am endlessly amazed by you. You are one of the coolest, smartest, kindest people I know. It sucked not having you around this year, but it just makes the next two years we have here that much more special. You will have an incredible impact on the world, and I am lucky enough to get a front row seat. 

Christopher: It’s been real, Zuko. You’re one of my favorite people no matter how many times a day I insult, threaten or actually kick/hit/push/throw things at you. I’m glad we got through this beautiful mess together and I’m beyond excited for the next one we encounter. There’s a lot out there to look forward to, and I can’t wait to see what’s next. 

Sarah: We’ve been through more in the past year than most married couples do in ten years. Well, maybe that’s not true. But I’m going to say it is for the sake of drama. I never thought I’d leave this place with someone as important as you by my side. Thanks for getting me through the tough days and smiling with me through the good ones. I love you a lot. 

Morgan & Noah: Thanks for the rides, the hugs, the late-night visits, the boba runs, the couches to crash on and the shoulders to cry on. I wouldn’t make it without you. 

Monica: I’m sorry I come home late every time I promise I’ll be home early. I’m sorry I never wash the dishes. I’m sorry I always force you to hang out with these chaotic people. Thank you for being one of the best people in my life. Thank you for keeping me going. I love you endlessly. 

Mom and dad: The people I just spent 1,440 words gushing over wouldn’t be in my life if it weren’t for you. I don’t say it nearly enough but thank you. I love you more. 

Peace out (for now).