Beat writers predict Syracuse will outmatch Lehigh in season opener

Hunter Runk | Contributing Photographer

Our beat writers agree that Syracuse will start its season with a win when the Mountain Hawks visit the Dome on Monday.

Syracuse’s opening two exhibition games were opposite to each other. Syracuse trailed at halftime against Indiana University of Pennsylvania before an offensive resurgence in the second half gave the Orange a comfortable cushion. 

The following week against Southern New Hampshire, Jim Boeheim said the first half was “very well played,” but SU flatlined in the second. Boeheim said the Orange only won because they were better, they didn’t overpower anyone.  

Now, Syracuse begins its regular season at home against Lehigh. It would have faced the Mountain Hawks last season, but the game was canceled due to COVID-19 protocol. Lehigh hasn’t had a winning season since 2018-19.

Here is what our beat writers think will happen when Lehigh visits the JMA Wireless Dome on Monday: 

Anish Vasudevan (0-0) 
Homecoming
Syracuse 72, Lehigh 58

Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim referred to the performance against Southern New Hampshire as “horrendous, awful.” Still, SU got rid of some of its kinks, figuring out how to fit a variety of young options into its lineup. Judah Mintz showed why he’s been receiving so much praise prior to the season, scoring 14 points versus IUP. Shorter players outrebounded Jesse Edwards and Benny Williams at times, but they showed how they can be crucial on the glass when they’re at their best. 

Now, the Orange will need to improve offensively each game. They can’t fall behind early. And the defense — man-to-man or zone, which Boeheim said are both works in progress — shouldn’t become the Achilles’ heel of the team for the second straight season. But both of these shouldn’t be an issue against a subpar Lehigh, who lost 10 of its 11 games to start off last year.  

Connor Smith (0-0)
Flying high 
Syracuse 75, Lehigh 60

Syracuse didn’t look great in its two exhibition games, trailing at halftime of the first game against Indiana PA and getting outscored in the second half against Southern New Hampshire. But with a young team that can get rid of some of its problems early, it’s a good thing the Orange open their season with three games that should result in double-digit victories. First up is Lehigh, a Patriot League team that finished 13-19 last season and hasn’t had a winning season since 2018-19. 

The Mountain Hawks have just one player listed above 6-foot-8, which should allow for Jesse Edwards and Benny Williams to get some easy baskets inside. If SU can contain Lehigh’s offense — which ranked in the bottom third nationally last season — it should get some good transition opportunities to put this one away early. Syracuse has only lost its season-opener twice in the last 20 years, the last time coming in 2019 against Virginia. Anything less than a convincing win in this game would be a disappointment. 

Anthony Alandt (0-0) 
Solid start
Syracuse 68, Lehigh 59

There’s little reason to have supreme confidence in Syracuse following its two exhibition games. Maybe they are good wakeup calls, but it’s a likely indicator that this team, one that has six freshmen, is going to have some growing pains this season. The three-point shooting was off, and Jesse Edwards looked ineffective underneath the basket.

While the Mountain Hawks don’t boast the most physically-impending lineup, SU struggled to grab rebounds and beat down its smaller exhibition opponents. It’s likely Syracuse will win and open the season with a nice 1-0 record, but it’s hard to believe the game will be smooth sailing. 

Joe Girard needs to stay on his feet and adapt to the shooting guard position to give the Orange a threat outside. Edwards needs to play like he’s a giant on the court — which he will be. Those things should happen eventually, but don’t expect them to happen all at once against Lehigh.