Column

SU needs to break the pattern they’ve set in reacting to incidents of hate

Meghan Hendricks | Photo Editor

Columnist Jonah Weintraub highlights Syracuse University’s lack of vigilance toward antisemitism and other hateful occurrences on campus.

To support student journalism and the content you love, become a member of The Daily Orange today.

Eric and Jason Coker were just two of the 35 SU students that had their lives cut short by the 1988 Pan Am Flight 103 bombing but the findings of antisemitism in the twins’ archive has made them a major subject of discussion leading up to 2022’s remembrance week.

However, we’ve slightly lost sight of the role SU played in the delayed release of these records and the university’s worrying response. There has been so much discussion about the nature of the Remembrance Scholars program, the Jewish community and the ethical imperfections we have as humans. Yet throughout all these talks, the fact that the Coker twins’ antisemitic files remained undiscovered for years speaks to SU’s shaky track-record with antisemitism

I am in no way claiming that SU administrators are apologists for antisemitism. With that being said, SU’s response to antisemitism on campus is concerning and insincere. The university’s most recent statement cited the Coker twins’ actions as “a mistake.” It’s one thing to say that we can still honor the potential the Coker twins had to grow and rid themselves of these biases, but it’s a whole different story to excuse the evidence as a mistake. The only mistake that should be acknowledged is the fact that antisemitic language has been in the archives for so long.

Just this Saturday, Bruce H. Norwell, the Cokers’ step brother, wrote a letter to the editor of The Daily Orange, citing that his brothers had been vilified throughout this process. Norwell mentions that the two were “bright” and “friendly” and a one off-color joke shouldn’t tarnish their lasting reputation. He continues to say, “I’m sure friends of mine could remind me of instances, when I was a twenty-year-old college student, that were not my finest hour.” But those moments are supposed to be throwing up from one too many drinks or sleeping through class – not spewing antisemitic narratives that are from a place of hate rather than a joke. Just like SU’s announcement, Norwell’s letter downplays the root of the hate by focusing on other factors.

This sadly isn’t the first time SU has disappointed marginalized communities with their response to a hate incident. In 2019, the university saw a spike in hate speech on campus that targeted Jewish people, including swastikas drawn in the snow and residence halls, as well as Black, LGBTQ and international students. SU neglected to alert students immediately following the first incident, which led to the creation of the #NotAgainSU movement. Much like the other targeted groups during that time, the university only acknowledged the Jewish community’s needs after students fought for them.

SU has continuously only handled these problems when it stared them in the face. It took the longest protest in campus history, one that literally shook the core of the school, for SU to take extensive action towards reshaping its culture. A constant grievance many students have with the university is its wash-rinse-repeat method of handling incidents of hate: a formal announcement, meeting with leaders, repeat. #NotAgainSU was a direct reaction to inadequate measures taken by administration when handling hate at SU, which makes this week’s statement on the Cokers disheartening.

A constant grievance many students have with the university is its wash-rinse-repeat method of handling incidents of hate: a formal announcement, meeting with leaders, repeat
Jonah Weintraub

In 2020, Jewish students demanded increased surveillance on campus, which was a short-term solution for a more fundamental problem. Catching people drawing swastikas isn’t going to address that they learned that hatred elsewhere. SU has implemented a similarly deflective strategy in light of the Coker twins’ situation. The two incidents both resulted in conversations with Jewish leaders on campus, particularly those in Hillel. While communication is great, it feels as if administration would rather give Jewish students the tools to build their security, rather than the security itself.

Jewish life is a huge aspect of SU culture. Within Jewish circles, we see the university as one of a few that are hubs for our religious group. We make up nearly 20% of campus (a much higher mark than other marginalized groups), but that doesn’t protect us against antisemitism. There is still a sense that we have to look out for ourselves and be our own advocates, rather than have a defender in SU. The school’s response to the Coker twins situation and incidents of antisemitism in the past, especially considering the influence and impact the Jewish community has at SU, leaves much to be desired.

Jonah Weintraub is a sophomore broadcast and digital journalism major. His column appears biweekly. He can be reached at [email protected].