Men's Soccer

Buster Sjoberg wins ACC Defensive Player of the Week

Jacob Halsema | Staff Photographer

Buster Sjoberg has been the linchpin of Syracuse’s back three all year, a unit that has allowed the second-fewest goals in the conference.

To support student journalism and the content you love, become a member of The Daily Orange today.

After leading No. 4 Syracuse to wins over Loyola and then-No. 11 Louisville, Buster Sjoberg was named the Atlantic Coast Conference Defensive Player of the Week.

Sjoberg has been the linchpin of Syracuse’s back three all year, a unit that has allowed the second-fewest goals in the conference (seven in 14 games). Sjoberg is the latest Orange defender to be recognized – Christian Curti won Defensive Player of the Week in week one and Russell Shealy won the award in week four and week six.

Against Loyola, Syracuse comfortably won 6-1, and Sjoberg was one of the catalysts for its resurgence late in the second half after the Greyhounds came back in the game earlier in the half. He’d played virtually every minute of the season up until that point, but was awarded with a few minutes rest at the end of the contest with the game in hand.

In a key win over Louisville that sent Syracuse clear to the top of the ACC standings, Sjoberg was key in leading the Orange defense after they went down to 10 men with 13 minutes left.

After transferring from Wofford before last season, the Swede has played in all but two of Syracuse’s matches. He’s started in all of the ones he’s played in. Sjoberg starts in the center of Syracuse’s back three, flanked by a mix of Curti, Olu Oyegunle and Abdi Salim.