Film Review: How No. 22 Syracuse got its rushing attack going against Wagner

Malcolm Taylor | Contributing Photographer

Back into the AP top-25 poll for the first time since 2019, Syracuse dominated the running game en route to its 59-point shutout win on Saturday.

To support student journalism and the content you love, become a member of The Daily Orange today.

No. 22 Syracuse dominated Wagner on Saturday, putting the Orange into the AP Poll for the first time since 2019. Within SU’s 59-point shutout came the reemergence of Sean Tucker, who notched a career-high 232 rushing yards.

Tucker scored three touchdowns on the day after being held scoreless for the past two games. As an offense, the Orange broke the 300-yard rushing mark for the first time since Oct. 9, 2021 against Wake Forest.

Here is how Syracuse restored its rushing attack with its most yards on the ground since it joined the Atlantic Coast Conference in 2013:

First big rush leads to TD

For the past two games, Tucker announced over Twitter that he wasn’t “pleased with (his) performance.” But against Wagner, he got going again with two first quarter touchdowns.

This play was Tucker’s first score. With the ball at the Syracuse 40 and SU just a yard away from a first down, Shrader handed the ball to Tucker.

The Orange were in one of their heavy sets, which they’ve used multiple times this season in third-and-short scenarios, with Wes Hoeh behind the left tackle and guard. Oronde Gadsden II motioned to mimic Hoeh’s position on the right side. After the ball was snapped, Dakota Davis pulled from the right side of the line and Gadsden followed behind.

Tucker received the handoff from Shrader’s right side, slowing down to let Gadsden and the rest of the blockers lead the way through the hole. He’s left with a clear path past the second level, needing to win a foot race in order to score. Tucker only slowed down after he reached the back of the end zone.

Tucker’s 2nd first quarter TD

Here, Tucker lined up behind Shrader again, this time with Hoeh on the right side of the line. On a first-and-goal at the four-yard line, Wagner had to be expecting a run. Tucker scored from the same formation on his first touchdown, led by a massive block from Chris Bleich up the middle.

Off the snap, almost every Wagner player converged on Syracuse’s offensive line. Hoeh sprinted to his left, taking out the defensive end while forcing Tucker to cut to the right. The hole was initially there, but linebacker Tre Vallar filled it up. Tucker pivoted right and sought out the nearest empty space, one that Seahawks defensive back Coby Calvin covered quickly.

Tucker adjusted his path to the end zone once again, shuffling even further to his right to allude Calvin’s diving tackle attempt. He continued his short run into the right corner of the end zone untouched as Syracuse scored its 20th point.

Receivers aid another big Tucker rush

Syracuse led 28-0 just midway through the second quarter and looked poised for another score after a 21-yard reception from Gadsden. With a first-and-10, the Orange set up another one of their complex running plays, having Devaughn Cooper motion from right to left prior to the snap.

Tucker took the hand off again as Shrader momentarily shuffled alongside him to confuse the defense. He quickly found space along the left side and followed Cooper’s path. As Tucker reached the 30, he found a gap created by Joe Cruz’s block, going around him and down the sideline.

Cooper prevented Branden Coleman from getting close to Tucker. Gadsden shoved off Anthony Thornton just long enough for Tucker to knock him to the ground himself. Tucker eventually stepped out of bounds at the 12-yard line.

Syracuse’s size advantage paid off on this play, but it emphasized the increased role its receivers have in the rushing attack. Besides becoming more frequent targets in the passing game, they’re contributing with crucial blocks and motions, which this play showed.

Tucker added 77 more rushing yards to get to 227 by halftime, which was 20 more than his career high set last season.

LeQuint Allen nearly goes the distance

It was only a matter of time until Babers pulled Tucker, who exited the game due to an injury sustained midway through the third quarter.

In came freshman running back LeQuint Allen, who ran for 22 yards and a touchdown on his first three carries. After the ensuing Wagner drive, Seahawks punter Dylan Hach pinned Syracuse at the 4-yard line.

On first down, Shrader handed the ball to Allen, who received the ball with his toes still in the end zone. Steven Mahar Jr. took up Hoeh’s position with this group, helping secure the right side of the line.

Allen went behind Mahar Jr., breaking a tackle at the six-yard line. By the time he entered Wagner territory, Allen appeared to beat Roberto Auguste in a foot race to the end zone. But as he reached the 35, he slightly lost his footing and slowed down. Umari Hatcher had kept up with Allen to stop any defender from getting within reaching distance of him, but he stumbled. Allen slowed down even further before eventually being tackled at the six.

Still, this play shows that Syracuse has enough speed and depth in its rushing game, maybe more than expected going into Saturday’s game.