Column

Childcare in Onondaga County deserves more than temporary solutions

Morgan Sample | Presentation Director

Governor Kathy Hochul’s $70 million dollars grant is only a temporary solution to a larger issue in central New York's poverty and daycare desert crisis.

To support student journalism and the content you love, become a member of The Daily Orange today.

There are many components that contribute to the cycle of poverty. Access to affordable childcare in a community is necessary to break that cycle.

Onondaga County is classified as a “childcare desert,” which puts another hurdle in place for those already in poverty. Childcare deserts are defined as an area without sufficient childcare programs. Communities without enough childcare programs end up continuing the cycle of poverty because parents can lose their jobs as they’re unable to take time off or get paid leave. Not all households can rely on one income or with just one parent present, so childcare is the only option.

The average cost of having and raising a child in America is $18,271 per year. Childcare itself is one of the biggest expenses, whether it be a nanny or daycare. The average household in Syracuse can barely meet the average costs to raise a child in America when the average income is $38,893 and 30% of people are in poverty.

On July 25th, New York State Governor Kathy Hochul announced that $70 million dollars will be available to register or permitted childcare programs in areas of NYthat classify as childcare deserts. This grant is under an umbrella of $7 billion dollars that will be used towards solving issues like access to affordable childcare, funding established childcare programs and exempting tax on diapers.

Overall investment in childcare will be extremely helpful, especially as COVID restrictions are rolled back and parents no longer are able to work from home. Both large and small child care programs will benefit and encourage other businesses or certified childcare employees to fill in a huge need within Syracuse.

The current CEO of Central New York YMCA, Betram Lawson, shines a light on the other hurdles that this grant money is unable to eliminate. There are multiple steps for a person to take before they can open a small child care facility, Lawson said.

These steps include ensuring buildings are up to code and staff are trained and credentialed. For a small childcare facility, this funding would relieve a lot of their burdens.

Hurdles that may not be considered are whether certifications and training are even offered in the areas that need childcare services the most. In Syracuse, Onondaga Community College is one of the institutions for those interested in childcare to receive basic certifications.

OCC’s location is also not accessible, so public transportation is necessary. A conversation to find long-term solutions for issues like childcare deserts needs to understand how the workforce, transportation, universities, and childcare can couple together.

Lawson explained that opening a smaller childcare facility from a business standpoint is not very lucrative, which makes those interested shy away. Lawson made it clear that this money is a good start but is not the forever solution. With so many hurdles in place for both already established childcare facilities, it is difficult to see Governor Hochul’s grant money as a long-term solution. From finding employees already certified or being able to make money that not only covers costs but a paycheck is difficult to seem hopeful.

The first major steps after the $7 billion investment are for leaders within the city to look at how problems interconnect to better solve the root issue. While Lawson applauds Governor Hochul for this money being put in place, there is still much more to go.

Sarhia Rahim is a Sophomore Policy Studies Major. Her Column appears bi-weekly. She can be reached at [email protected].