In The Huddle: NC State

Beat writers split on if Syracuse can beat No. 14 NC State at home

Emily Steinberger | Senior Staff Photographer

The first top-25 matchup in Syracuse for the first time since 2001, our beat writers stand divided on the outcome between Syracuse and NC State.

To support student journalism and the content you love, become a member of The Daily Orange today.

No. 18 Syracuse will face its first ranked opponent of the season, No. 15 NC State, at the JMA Wireless Dome on Saturday afternoon. The Orange’s 5-0 start earned them their first spot in the AP Poll since 2019, sliding into No. 22 after their win over Wagner before moving up four following their bye week.

Syracuse faces an NC State offense that may be without its starting quarterback, Devin Leary, in its third conference game of the season. The Orange can claim bowl game eligibility with a win. Ahead of Syracuse’s first ranked matchup of the season, here’s what our beat writers predict will happen on Saturday:

Alex Cirino (4-1)
Not there yet
Syracuse 20, NC State 27

With all the attention on Syracuse’s undefeated run and first appearance in the AP Poll in over three years, it’s finally time for its unimagined 5-0 run to get a reality check. Yes, the Orange have made noticeable improvements on both sides of the ball from a year ago, but NC State will be their first real test thus far. After their Week 1 near-upset against East Carolina, the Wolfpack have handled their biggest tests of the season, playing back-to-back ranked opponents coming into Saturday’s game. NC State has showcased its passing game despite a 10-point loss to No. 4 Clemson.

Even with Leary’s uncertain status, NC State has both a top-30 defense against the run and the pass. The biggest question about the Wolfpack offense will come with their run game, which recorded just 34 yards against Clemson. If backup quarterback Jack Chambers can successfully rely on his running backs to carry the bulk of NC State’s load, Syracuse will be outmatched, ending its perfect winning stretch.

ith-07

Megan Thompson | Digital Design Director

Connor Smith (4-1)
Coming for Clemson
Syracuse 31, NC State 27

Syracuse has beaten NC State just twice in 15 all-time meetings. Make that three times after Saturday afternoon’s top-20 affair is complete. Leary torched the Orange for over 300 yards and two touchdowns last season, but has been dealing with a shoulder injury. Whether Leary plays or not, NC State’s aerial attack will be limited, and SU’s defense will be in line to make a few big plays.

Syracuse’s offense, fresh off a bye week and a record-setting performance against Wagner two weeks ago, will be in shape to finish off drives to overcome the Wolfpack for the first time since 2018. And SU, once picked to finish in the bottom of the ACC Atlantic Division, will be 6-0, bowl eligible for the first time in four years and headed south for a huge matchup against Clemson, one that could have major postseason implications involved.

ith-01

Anthony Alandt (4-1)
Bowling a perfect score
Syracuse 38, NC State 28

The Orange enter their biggest game of 2022 off of a bye week and a 59-0 win over Football Championship Series opponent Wagner. With a packed house, a top-25 matchup for the first time in Syracuse since 2001 and an injury to Leary’s throwing shoulder, all signs point to Syracuse earning its first win against a ranked opponent in four years.

If there was ever a time for Robert Anae to strut his stuff, it’s against an NC State defense that has allowed 30 points only once this season. If there’s ever a time for the “mob” to come together, it’s against Leary — or Charleston Southern graduate transfer Jack Chambers. Sean Tucker needs to find similar success on Saturday than he had against Wagner, and the passing game needs to be on point. There’s no room for another 41-17-style blowout from a year ago. With a bowl game and a 6-0 start, SU can turn its sights to the big dogs of the ACC. And a win over Clemson could — maybe — break SU into the top 10.