Beat writers predict SU to advance to 4-0 with win over Virginia

Jacob Halsema | Contributing Photographer

With Virginia averaging just 17.7 points a game, our beat writers unanimously agree that SU will continue its undefeated run.

A blowout win, physical stops against a top Atlantic Coast Conference quarterback and a last-second heroic stunner — Syracuse’s first three games, all wins, have had it all. In its second game of a four-game homestand, the Orange welcome Virginia, the former home of Robert Anae and Jason Beck, as they try to improve to 4-0. There’s plenty of familiarity between the squads — head coach Dino Babers even said first-year head coach Tony Elliott has met many of SU’s players.

But the Cavaliers are struggling to find their footing in the first season following Bronco Mendenhall’s departure. After an easy win against Richmond, UVA only put up three points in a huge loss to Illinois before putting away Old Dominion by a field goal. Here is what our three beat writers believe will happen in SU’s second conference test of the season:

Alex Cirino (2-1)
Keep it Going
Syracuse 25, Virginia 10

Aside from Anae and Beck facing their former program for the first time, Syracuse will have another edge that will move it to 4-0. Garrett Shrader has emerged as one of the ACC’s best passers. And even though he had a significant Week 3 completion dropoff against Purdue, he completed his passes when the Orange needed it the most.

But where Shrader has the edge over Virginia quarterback Brennan Armstrong is in his rushing game. Aside from Armstrong’s 64-yard rushing touchdown in the Cavaliers’ season-opener against Richmond, he has failed to surpass 55 rushing yards, and even netted negative yards against Illinois. Meanwhile, Shrader’s averaged 67 per game, and getting Sean Tucker more involved will be key, as he was held to 42 rushing yards against Purdue. It’s safe to say that he’s due for a score and a big game on Friday as SU’s undefeated run will continue.

Connor Smith (2-1)
Outcoached
Syracuse 31, Virginia 13

This will be a game with plenty of familiarity on both sides — Syracuse’s new offensive leaders, Anae and Beck, both came over from Virginia and helped coach several notable Cavaliers, including Armstrong. UVA has slipped in the scoring department this year after averaging 34.6 points per game with Anae and Beck, notching 17.7 points per game under their first-year head coach.

SU’s new offense has impressed this season, with Anae proving to be a play-calling wizard and helping Garrett Shrader become one of the ACC’s top signal-callers. Virginia, however, only scored 16 points in a two-point win over Old Dominion last week, and was nearly shut out by Illinois. Don’t expect the Orange’s offense to put up the points it did against UConn, but expect them to still win comfortably behind a strong defensive showing and smart coaching from Anae, Beck and Babers.

Anthony Alandt (2-1)
‘Feeling Hot Hot Hot’
Syracuse 30, Virginia 21

Syracuse succeeded in its first close test of the season, and it did it the way 2022 was expected to go: from high in the air. That’s going to continue against Virginia, who’s sloppy 2-1 record shouldn’t scare off a more formidable SU team. Plus, the Orange have the benefit of Anae and Beck in this matchup, one that’s full of familiar faces who intimately know the ins and outs of each other’s game. Anae has become a wizard as SU’s offensive coordinator, concocting bunch sets and confusing defenses with pre-snap motions, resulting in wide open receivers and plenty of room for Shrader to show off his arm.

I expect nothing less against UVA, who barely beat Old Dominion and got boat raced by Illinois. Armstrong, though successful under the Beck-Anae combo, has mightily struggled thus far. “The mob” and the rest of SU’s defense, which has forced national attention with their lockdown play, will pick Armstrong apart. Syracuse will roll into its only Football Championship Series game at 4-0 and … ranked?