The next day: Finding a No. 1 receiver to take load off Tucker will be key for Syracuse

Jacob Halsema | Contributing Photographer

Damien Alford's (pictured) lone catch came for a touchdown in Syracuse's 48-14 blowout win over UConn.

Get the latest Syracuse news delivered right to your inbox. Subscribe to our sports newsletter here.

EAST HARTFORD, Conn. — When Garrett Shrader faked a handoff to Sean Tucker late in the first quarter, UConn’s defense latched its eyes into the backfield. It was hard to blame them for doing so — Tucker had already taken 10 handoffs, and took two carries for four yards apiece before that 2nd-and-6 play from the Huskies’ 47-yard line. 

But with defensive back Tre Wortham still looking into the backfield after the fake, Shrader showed no hesitation as he launched the ball toward the player Wortham should’ve focused on – wide receiver Damien Alford. It was a perfectly thrown ball, going just over Wortham’s outstretched left arm into the hands of Alford for a 47-yard touchdown that put the Orange up 17-0. 

It was a play that showed what SU’s offense could look like over the remainder of the season — Tucker running downhill, picking up chunks of yardage each play, and setting up the passing attack. But the reception was Alford’s only one, and Tucker ended up leading the team in receptions for the second straight game as Syracuse improved to 2-0 with a 48-14 victory over the Huskies. 

Syracuse’s offense revolves around Tucker, who finished as an All-American in 2021. Perhaps head coach Dino Babers learned that underutilizing Tucker — as the Orange did in their final three games last year, when Tucker never got more than 20 touches in a game and SU finished its season 0-3 — is a recipe for losing. Against Louisville, Tucker had 21 rushing attempts and six receptions. And versus Connecticut, he had 27 rushes and four catches. Not only is the sophomore Syracuse’s leading rusher, he’s its leading receiver, too. 

So far, everything’s been clicking for the Orange’s offense. Tucker is averaging 106 rushing yards, and Shrader has been one of the country’s most efficient quarterbacks, ranking third in completion percentage. But for SU to continue scoring — and winning — a new offensive weapon needs to emerge. Make no mistake, Tucker needs to get touches. But he also has the sixth-highest number of rushing attempts in the nation and the most in the Atlantic Coast Conference. 

For Syracuse’s pass-centric offense to truly work, there needs to be a No. 1 receiver, someone who Shrader can turn to in close games. SU can’t always rely on Tucker to make a play. That someone hasn’t surfaced yet, but there’s still 10 games left to find them. 

Shrader has some guys in mind — he pointed postgame to Alford, Courtney Jackson and Devaughn Cooper as players he has a strong connection with. But Babers said everybody is still “pretty even.” 

“It’s all about the relationship with the quarterback, whoever has the best relationship with the quarterback, those numbers will start to skew one way or another, but it has to do with who (Shrader) likes,” Babers said. “We can call plays and stuff, but when he starts getting that okey doke type feeling with one of them, really get a feeling for them, that’s the guy that’s gonna take off.” 

In the early years of Babers’ tenure at SU, one receiver always became that season’s go-to target. In 2016 it was Amba Etta-Tawo, the next year it was Steve Ishmael, in 2018 it was Jamal Custis and the following season it was Trishton Jackson. Taj Harris was supposed to be that guy in 2020, but never truly broke out, and eventually transferred last fall. 

Since Harris’ departure, the past two years have seen a committee of receivers getting targets. Against Connecticut, five players caught three balls or more, with none eclipsing 50 yards. Babers said the passing attack will be dispersed like that until Syracuse finds a player that “wants to make a difference.”

“If you’re out there and you’re eligible, we’d like to think that we can get you the ball,” Babers said last Monday. “If you’re decent enough with your hands, you have the ability to catch it.”

For now, that formula has been working. But starting next week, Syracuse’s schedule ramps up with a game against Purdue, which ranked top-35 nationally in points allowed per game last season. In those games, the Orange will need another player to take the burden off Shrader and Tucker.

sports-digital-01

Megan Thompson | Digital Design Director

The game was won when…

Shrader found Jackson open against zone coverage to put Syracuse up 26-6 at the end of the first half. SU’s offensive line gave Shrader a clean pocket to work in, and Jackson made his cut inside and found the end zone virtually untouched. Babers said he expected there to be a big collision with the safeties coming down on Jackson, but the receiver scored with ease. It gave the Orange a comfortable cushion, and one they would only extend.

Quote of the night: Dino Babers

“They’ve given themselves an opportunity to be something. I don’t know what that something is yet. But right now, they don’t have a blemish on their record.”

With the win Saturday, Syracuse opened a season 2-0 for the first time since 2018. Babers was asked what the team and coaching staff’s morale was after the win, and said while the team and coaches are almost totally different from that season, this year’s squad is very focused. As a result, his team has put themselves in a position to seriously compete in the ACC this season. 

Number to know: 79.2%

Through week two, Shrader ranks third nationally in completion percentage out of all eligible quarterbacks. Shrader had three incompletions against UConn after going 18-for-25 against Louisville. He was Pro Football Focus’ quarterback of the week last weekend, and the impact from Syracuse’s new offense — brought in by offensive coordinator Robert Anae and quarterbacks coach Jason Beck — has already become very visible through just two games. 

Game ball: Garrett Shrader 

Yes, more Shrader. While the Orange knew what they were going to get from Tucker this season, quarterback play was a bit of a question mark. After Saturday’s win, those questions should be dispelled. Shrader recorded five touchdowns — three through the air, two on the ground — and was accurate with throws at every level. 

SU aired it out a bit more versus the Huskies. Along with his touchdown throw to Alford, Shrader also converted on a 39-yard throw to D’Marcus Adams. Syracuse wanted to get in between defenders in UConn’s zone defense, and wanted to test the Huskies’ defenders in one-on-one coverage situations. In every passing scenario, things went SU’s way. 

“Shrader does a nice job of picking and choosing his targets,” Babers said. “He’s been extremely accurate this year and his throwing percentages have been extremely high.”

Three final points:

Getting pressure without Stefon Thompson

Syracuse already had to replace their entire defensive line after 2021, and Steve Linton has been battling an injury and playing limited snaps. To amplify the problem up front, outside linebacker Stefon Thompson, who notched six sacks and started all 12 games last year, suffered a season-ending injury against Louisville.

The Orange replaced Thompson’s pass-rushing ability by getting good pressure from their secondary. Justin Barron and Rob Hanna each made plays on UConn quarterback Zion Turner, and Marlowe Wax had a strip sack that led to an SU touchdown. 

The Huskies used a run-heavy attack as Turner threw for only 92 yards. Syracuse’s new front six was tested by running back Nate Carter, who ran 16 times for 74 yards.

sports-digital-01

Stephanie Zaso | Design Editor

Backups see time

With the game’s outcome solidified by the fourth quarter, Babers emptied out his bench and gave some reserves a chance to play. Florida transfer Carlos Del-Rio Wilson, a former 4-star recruit, came in for Shrader and went 1-for-3 passing for 22 yards. His only connection was with another transfer, Dan Villari (Michigan), who switched from quarterback to wide receiver in training camp. 

Del-Rio Wilson looked more comfortable using his legs than his arm, running twice for 13 yards. Both he and Villari are athletic options off the bench.

Freshman running back LeQuint Allen, who impressed during camp and earned the No. 2 spot on the depth chart, ran it seven times for 11 yards. Allen previously filled in for Tucker against Louisville when the running back briefly left the game due to an injury concern. 

Finding the “old Andre”

Andre Szmyt knocked in two field goals and all six of his extra point attempts. He has yet to miss a kick this season. Babers said Szmyt, who won the Lou Groza Award as the nation’s best kicker in 2018, has “committed himself to the old way” this season. Szmyt has gone back to how he trained in 2018 after Babers told him to “get back to what got you here.” 

“I just like everything about him right now,” Babers said. “I think he’s going to have an amazing year.” 

Next up: Purdue

Syracuse returns home to face Purdue, which is 1-1 on the season after a home loss to Penn State and a blowout win over Indiana State. SU hasn’t beaten a Big Ten team since 2013, when it took down Minnesota in the Texas Bowl. The Boilermakers finished 9-4 last season and beat Tennessee in the TransPerfect Music City Bowl. Quarterback Aidan O’Connell has thrown for 576 yards and five touchdowns through two games.